Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Kathleen-

You bring up some interesting points.

I would contend that it is possible and necessary to have laws which would prosecute the boyfriend for murder while at the same time determining the appropriate balance of fetal and maternal rights in the matter of abortion. As it stands now, current law already strikes some balance between maternal and fetal rights since most late-term abortions (after the point of viability) are not legal.

The debate now revolves around whether to move the legal line closer to conception. With recent medical advances involving "morning after pills," "the abortion pill," in-vitro fertilization and now embryonic stem cell research, I personally believe that it will be ultimately impossible to come to a black and white legal decision protecting all fetal life as some might desire. In addition to the above medical advances, as you point out, fetal death occurs routinely in the matter of miscarriage - many times before a pregnancy is even known.

With this in mind, I also find the extremism of anti-abortion zealots (RTL's) somewhat disturbing.

At the same time, I am also quite disturbed by pro-abortion zealots (PC's) who oppose prosecuting someone who assaults a pregnant woman and kills the fetus.

wolvy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.