Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Keep in mind that paying in 2017 to be deductible only applies to the state estimate payment. Whether you pay the federal 4th quarter payment in December 2017 or January 2018 is irrelevant. Either way you take credit for it on the 2017 return which is due in April 2018.

Right! There was a time I knew that (back when I was doing my taxes by hand, before AMT forced me to start using TT). I've been making 4th quarter payments in December for so long I forgot the original reason; it was probably just to keep things simple.

You can make as many estimated payments during the year -and the January period following - as you want.

Excellent, thanks.

But you shouldn't try to make a payment very long after January 16.

If the $250k is received in 2017, I'll make the payment first week of January 2018 for tax year 2017.
If the $250k is received in 2018, I'll make the payment in 2018 for tax year 2018, in whatever quarter applies.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.