Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum and not sure where I should put what. Sometimes my thinking isn't too clear either. The question is whether I would lose more by selling the stocks and incurring the penalty than holding them, taking a chance they would go down even further. I'm 55, if that helps.
Print the post Back To Top
Tell us more about your stocks. Are they in a 401K plan or an IRA or an ESOP. How are they restricted? What penalty applies? Also what stocks are involved? Mutual fund?

Most plans allow you the option of switching to other investments or money markets if you are convinced your stocks will decline further, but whether this is wise or not depends on many details.

Please tell us more.
Hight posted;

"I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum and not sure where I should put what. Sometimes my thinking isn't too clear either. The question is whether I would lose more by selling the stocks and incurring the penalty than holding them, taking a chance they would go down even further. I'm 55, if that helps. "

I would recommend you do a lot of reading on investments. Sage and Motley Fool both offer some very informative reading material. Both also offer message baords for quite a few stocks.

Stocks will increase in value and decrease in value but seldom will stock valuation changes have much to do with your age.

I think we need to know more about the situation to help you.

BGP