No. of Recommendations: 0
Keep up! Fidelity lets you buy fractional shares of any stock these days. No commissions and you can execute market or limits orders and purchase based on either a total dollar amount or a specified number of shares. I think Fidelity is a real broker.

It's hard to keep up, things have been changing with brokers so fast these days. Not too long ago I was thinking how to move some of my Etrade accounts to the Etrade login which was from when they took over OptionsHouse, and it got grandfathered $3.95 commissions. Then some "real" broker came out with $0 commissions and the avalanche came and they all went to $0. Including Etrade, the tail-end Charlie.

Yup, Fido is a real broker. The ones I was referring to were those like Robinhood (and another whose name I do not recall).

Of course, you are not _really_ buying fractional shares. The broker buys or has a whole number of shares in their name, and makes a bookkeeping entry that earmarks a fraction for you. Not that that makes any difference---nobody holds the actual shares certificates anymore, it's all just bookkeeping entries is a ledger.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.