Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
First, I don't think this news is anywhere close to deserving of the close to 20% beating the shares are taking this morning. This is just my personal 'gut feel' opinion, so take that for what it's worth - but is this news really mean that one in five dollars this firm will ever make on a discounted basis have suddenly vanished? I don't get it.

If CNS were't already one of my heavier individual stock positions I'd toy with the idea of adding some shares at this point - but considering its size in my portfolio I think 'standing pat' is the right thing to do.

But to keep it in perspective....

My personal basis in CNS is $12.18 per stub. As of the quoted price a couple of minutes ago, I'm upside down on this to the tune of 5%.

Hidden Gems, both because they are smaller cap stocks, and because of the attention that they get by virtue of being Hidden Gems, are going to be volatile. I knew this going in, expected a bumpy ride, planned for a bumpy ride, and decided I had the stomach for a bumpy ride before I bought my first shares.

If you'd have told me on the day I bought my shares (actually I bought in two lots, but that's beside the main point) that at some point in the future I'd be underwater by 5% I would have said, "Yup, you are probably right, but I don't know when that day is going to be, I don't try to time the market, and I'm going to buy anyway."

Just keeping it in perspective - I don't know what anyone else's basis is, what their goals with CNS were/are, or how much volatility anyone else expected or is willing to tolerate... but for me, nothing is other than I really expected it to be.

Sure, I hate seeing that loss when I log onto my online brokerage account. "I lost how much money, in one day?!"

But then I put it in perspective... I still don't like it... but I'll sleep just fine tonight.

Regards,

Eldrehad
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.