Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Keith,

The authors are very clear that the tornado is measured by revenue, not earnings. The reason earnings aren't the proper gauge is because earnings are subject to other issues that have absolutely nothing to do with product adoption. Earnings can be impacted by changes in R&D spending and other costs of doing business, changes in income tax rates, and sales and acquisitions of businesses. If you're thinking of earnings per share, that can be affected by all the above as well as increased or decreased shares outstanding.

Because the tornado is a symptom of product adoption, the only way to measure the rate at which it is being adopted is to measure the rate at which customers are paying for it. That's revenue.

Though the authors are clear that revenue is what we use to determine the existence of a tornado, they aren't aren't clear about what rate revenue growth is clearly that of a tornado. Anything in the range of 100% annual growth or more is a reason to examine the possibility of a tornado. At the extreme, sequential quarterly growth of 30% or 40% is a clear sign the tornado is in progress.

Based on your thinking that the tornado is all about earnings, I think it would probably be helpful for you to revisit the discussion in the book of tornados, what they are about, and how they are measured. During the tornado, a company conentrates on increasing market share (revenue), not margins (earnings). It's after the tornado ends that a company concentrates on increasing margins.

I'll wait to hear from Tinker before I give you my thoughts on Gemstar. After all, I'm open minded to the possibility that he might change my mind. :)

--Mike Buckley
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.