Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Kenny asks "Soooo---Larry, when do you sell??"

I couldn't tell if the question was 1) specific to me and CYD, or 2) in general about CYD, or 3) in general about selling.

So....

1. Specific about me and CYD: Normally, I depend pretty heavily on earnings reports. CYD doesn't help me out there, so I'm relying more on the news, the charts, the industry, and the country. In other words, much more IWAG (Intuitive Wild-A$$ Guess). So, since I'm hoping that CYD will now wander uphill a little more sensibly, I'll be thinking long-term, but watching the charts. More about all that later.

2. In general about CYD: depends on when you got in. I got in around 20, so I rode it up to 37 and back down to 26 without selling any. Now that we know it can pull back with a vengence (movie title?) if I were a Nervous Nellie (which I'm not), I might sell 1/2 when it revisits 37 again, and then more later.

3. In general about selling:
On the Fab 15 board Patrick and I discussed selling issues a week ago.
Here is Patrick's first post:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19804660
Here is my response:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19809194
Then Patrick responded again, but I'm sorry to say, I never got around to answering. Moved on to something else -- namely trying to quantify the most certain and least esoteric aspects of technical analysis.

And speaking about that hybrid investitrader or tradivestor, another alternative is to be an investor, AND a trader.
This is what I've begun to do with about 15% of my holdings -- to trade them more based on the charts, that is. (In my account which has $1.00 cost trades, of course)

I'll let you know how it works out.

Larry
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.