Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Key issue to investigate here, and what would keep me from buying a used hybrid (though I do plan to buy a new one for my next car), is expected battery life and replacement cost.

My understanding (from an engineer friend) is that the battery that runs the electric motor has an expected life of about 8 years and costs a few thousand dollars to replace when needed.

I don't think hybrids have been out long enough for there to be good data on expected battery life, so you just have to take someone's word for it. I would try to find a good mechanic, or barring that ask a dealer, about expected life and replacement cost.

You could also try posting on the discussion boards at edmunds.com, which get more activity than here. There are boards for each model of car, and I could swear there is a generalized hybrid discussion board as well though I wasn't able to locate it just now.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.