Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the advertisements that pop up above each and every message on the Motley Fool? They are extremely annoying. Every time I get a message centered to where I can read it that d*mn ad pops up. There is a slight delay before it pops up so it's almost like it's waiting for you to read the message and then it pops up and shifts your message down about three (3) inches and you have to center it again. Very annoying.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I agree!

We hate ads of any kind. (We love our DVR for that reason. We record most shows and then watch them later on the DVR, so we can zip past the usually brain-dead ads!

And so MANY! There often 10 ads in a "break".

And evening news? Ye gods! You may get 1-2 minutes of news, followed by 5 minutes of ads! Don't tell me they are necessary. How about paying the staff less so we can be tortured less?

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 0
ADblock

I especially hate the ones with dancing figures, changing colors, etc......

Adblock does the job.

t
I have uBlock Origin.

You really should have an ad-blocker and/or a script-blocker on your primary browser. It makes a huge difference.
You really should have an ad-blocker and/or a script-blocker on your primary browser. It makes a huge difference. - warrl

-------------------

I have both. Not until I added a scriptblocker did I realize how much extra junk gets loaded besides the primary web page you want. Sometimes there are 20 or more obscure sites wanting access to my laptop. God only knows what mischief would occur.
And evening news? Ye gods!

On children's programing on saturday morning. The ratio of ads to programs is 50-50 or worse 60-40.
Pity the Children.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Pity the children?

Ever noted how much NEWS you get vs ADS in the evening news?

I also am puzzled about having 8-10 ads or more in a single "break". Who the heck could ever remember what they saw? Terrible waste of money and time -- theirs and ours.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 7
On children's programing on saturday morning. The ratio of ads to programs is 50-50 or worse 60-40.

I have been watching more live TV than before and thus seeing more ads than I ever used to. I don't mind as I usually mute the TV and look at something more interesting on my phone while the ads are running. But I've noticed a couple of things:

If you go by TV ads, you'd have to conclude that the ethnic makeup of the U.S. is about 45% African-American and about 2% Hispanic-American. And about 75% psoriatic-Americans, with a significant minority of Hepatitis C-Americans and Crohn-Americans. The good news is that there don't seem to be as many mesothelioma-Americans as there were just a few years ago.

--fleg
No. of Recommendations: 4
DUring the day....it's Car Shield......followed by life insurance for those over age 65 for as little as $9.95/month...... and an occasional reverse mortgage thrown in as well as the usual 'if you've been injured by using product XYZ (J&J baby powder, this drug, that drug) call XXX-XXX-XXXX - you may be entitled to substantial award for 'damages'. ).....

and dozens of ads for Humana Medicare Plus plans..... 'free glasses, free hearing ads, transportation to doctors, etc'..just sell us your soul....forever......

During the evening news, it's the Strong Arm for those injured by a big truck.....and drug promotion ads......

Almost no car ads on TV these days.

Evening seems to be devoted to above plus CPAP machine cleaning ads......

t
No. of Recommendations: 1
The only thing you left out was the guy hugging and fluffing "My Pillow" 24 hours a day.

RayB
'Progressive Insurance' must be the most expensive in the country. Every channel all day and night.
On the other hand, Gieko ads are usually great with the best ingenuity to sell a product.
No. of Recommendations: 5
I have been watching more live TV than before and thus seeing more ads than I ever used to. I don't mind as I usually mute the TV and look at something more interesting on my phone while the ads are running.

Overall, I have no problem with ads, but I consider them to be the grease that gives us all he neat things we have. Most people do not realize that we would not have a huge amount of what we do without advertising. Advertising is a way for a company to make money off more than it's direct customers, and also make a LOT more money. Without advertising, we would not have television. Period. The ads pay for TV and without those ads, we would not even have the electronics of the TV. The electronics of TV gave way to the electronics of computers and such. Before TV, it was radio ads.

I may not love all ads, but I do respect their part in making our society what it is today.

Kathleen
I may not love all ads, but I do respect their part in making our society what it is today.

'Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.' ;^)
(yes, i had a secret decoder ring and felt exactly the same way as Ralphy)
Progressive Insurance. Is that the one with the over painted, shapelessly overweight and obnoxiously happy nurse with the big eyes? The mere appearance of any Progressive ad sets off a mad rush in my house to shut the TV off before Dad (that be me) shoots the screen.

RayB
No. of Recommendations: 1
The mere appearance of any Progressive ad sets off a mad rush in my house to shut the TV off before Dad (that be me) shoots the screen.

Use your raygun....
I have been using uBlock origin for a while to block the ads. However, I'm not familiar with script blocking. What does that do in addition to the ad blocking and can you recommend one to use with Firefox.
I have been using uBlock origin for a while to block the ads. However, I'm not familiar with script blocking. What does that do in addition to the ad blocking and can you recommend one to use with Firefox. - TerryMcK

--------------------
I have firefox and use Noscript. It basically blocks javascipt for everythig and then gives an option on a site by site basis to permanently or temporarily let it load content. Works great and besides security, it speeds things up since no time is wasted loading a lot of extraneous crap.

https://noscript.net/

The NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank).

NoScript also provides the most powerful anti-XSS and anti-Clickjacking protection ever available in a browser.

NoScript's unique whitelist based pre-emptive script blocking approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known, such as Meltdown or Spectre, and even not known yet!) with no loss of functionality...

You can enable JavaScript, Java and plugin execution for sites you trust with a simple left-click on the NoScript status bar icon (look at the picture), or using the contextual menu, for easier operation in popup statusbar-less windows.
I have firefox and use Noscript. It basically blocks javascipt for everythig and then gives an option on a site by site basis to permanently or temporarily let it load content. Works great and besides security, it speeds things up since no time is wasted loading a lot of extraneous crap.

Thank you