No. of Recommendations: 0
kimflournoy writes:

married individuals filing separately cannot contribute to a Roth IRA if either has an adjusted gross income (AGI) greater than $10,000

FYI, I think you're missing a zero in there... :-)

No, Aleph wrote that correctly. The rules for a married person filing separately stipulate that a Roth annual contribution is not allowed when modified AGI reaches $10K. The $100,000 stipulation you're thinking of is for a conversion contribution (i.e., a rollover of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA).

For details, see our IRA Area at and IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements) available for download at

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.