Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
... that I asked for this board to be created because the Yahoo list was sooooooo dead. Of course, that was before Fool.com implemented Board membership dues.

I suspect, in the name of long-term planning, people ought to consider how they are going to host these kind of things when all the "freebies" go away (and they most assuredly are, one-by-one).

As someone who loaded up on "free" this and that web-thing over the last five years, I can tell you that most of those things are fading away completely ... or being replaced with fee-structures.

Even the basic business of hosting web pages cost money. And, whether you like it or not, advertisements do not pay for it. Users of these services are re-learning the lessons of opportunity costing. And the consequence has been an implosion of personal (vanity) websites that were so prevalent [I leave it as an exercise to the reader to decide if this is good or bad ;-)]

Yet, there are still sites popping up that try to offer everything for nothing ... as if recent history means nothing. Take BrokerageAmerica.com for instance. It took them less than six months for reality to sink in. They could not offer unlimited free transactions for retail traders - even if they DO cut out the "middle man."

Anyway, I suspect Yahoo will eventually do away with its YahooGroups or move to a fee-based service. The only way they can avoid this is if they manage to turn a decent profit elsewhere ... which I wouldn't count on.

So, even if setting up a Weinstein list on Yahoo, we ought to start considering contingency plans for where to go after YahooGroups is no longer "free."
Print the post Back To Top
<<So, even if setting up a Weinstein list on Yahoo, we ought to start considering contingency plans for where to go after YahooGroups is no longer "free.">>

At that point, an email group would be the most likely choice. I've belonged to them in the past and have been very happy with them, though I've moved from one to another as my goals have changed over the years.

In any case, it may be some time before Yahoo begins charging, if it ever does. Yahoo has many ways of generating income. All TMF can do is sell its publications, most of which are available from the library.

--Db
No. of Recommendations: 0
At that point, an email group would be the most likely choice.

The only problem that I see with these groups is that you kind of need to know that they are out there and who to contact to get on the list whereas with Yahoo Groups or TMF you can discover them on your own and sample them before deciding to join.
<<The only problem that I see with these groups is that you kind of need to know that they are out there and who to contact to get on the list whereas with Yahoo Groups or TMF you can discover them on your own and sample them before deciding to join.>>

With TMF, however, you have to pay. Yahoo Groups is free, at least for now. Email groups can promote themselves, however, just as websites can. All you have to do is register with the search engines, again for free.

--Db
No. of Recommendations: 0
Email groups can promote themselves, however, just as websites can. All you have to do is register with the search engines, again for free.

Very good, then. I did sign up for Weinstein group. Member # 3 - my favorite number :-).