Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Kind of surprising as the maturity date is just a month away. But I suppose if lots of holders jump on this "deal" the company will save a good amount so perhaps this is one of those it's-worth-a-try situations? My position is small and I intend to hold my 20's until the end! Hoping I'll just get par value plus interest without any surprises.
=========================================
There's a lot of logic to your position. On the other hand, I'm still kicking myself when I look at my brokerage account, over the fact that I could have sold my Sears Holdings bond for $88-$90 the week before they filed for Chapter 11. I thought the price was ridiculously low, so close to the maturity date. (They filed for Chap. 11 on the maturity date. I guess I was the robber baron who forced them into bankruptcy.) It's now selling for about $6, or $300 for a $5,000 bond.

Obviously some people knew or suspected something, but I was too smart to notice. On the other hand, there was no big tender offer like this, that I remember.

More recently, Tupperware did one of those lowball tender offers this summer, at a price of about $47, as I recall. Their problem is that with the pandemic, social distancing requirements have put an end to in-home Tupperware parties. I passed that one up, too, figuring/hoping that this is a short-term problem, and even if they hit Chap. 11, it will be a thing to buy time. So far it's worked. I don't know how many people took them up on it, but the bond price was back to about $80 the last time I noticed.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.