Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think I've asked some questions re. buying a Kindle Paperweight before, however, don't remember where and who I asked (this seems like a logical place to ask) so here goes:

DH wants to buy me a Kindle Paperweight because he thinks its a PITA for me to go to the local Library. I, actually, don't mind it and have always like holding a book, a real book in my hands however:

These are some of my questions:

I do have Amazon Prime. They show Kindle paperweights from $129 - $249 depending upon the bells and whistles. I wouldn't think I would need more than 8gb of storage. Do I want one "with offers - that means ads, right?" Would like to avoid commercials/ads if possible, especially if they are intruding or annoying....

do I have to pay for Kindle unlimited? OR don't I need that? I don't want to pay a monthly fee (subscription) for any more devices, I find it annoying.Can't I just download a book from Amazon Prime for free or do they charge for most recent, up-to-date books? If so, charge is probably minimal right?

Local library here does show they have downloads for Kindles and other e-books - I guess those would be free since I do have a library card. that's probably what I would do, since I'm rather cheap (only about small things....lol).

they can be recharged with provided charging device and provided cable, right?

I see the paperweight for $129 is supposed to be waterproof and non-glare....Is that a fact?

If I read a book and then delete it, it doesn't use up my storage????

Just fyi, I have a MacBok Pro and iPhone (if that impacts anything)

There probably are other questions I should ask but don't know enough to ask yet.....

thanks for any advice/opinions....
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a Kindle paperwhite & recommend it. I get almost all of my books through the library. Download with wifi and then turn off the wifi. Even if the books expire, you have them until you turn the wifi on again. I've had mine since the paperwhite came out, haven't deleted any books and haven't run out of space. Honestly, I can't find the order and have no idea of the original storage space.

I have occasionally done Kindle unlimited with short free trials but didn't keep it. If you have Prime, you can download two books from a small selection each month.
My wife loved her Kindle Paperwhite, and I am pleased with mine. It looks like they have improved them and made them waterproof now, or at least one version is.

For the last few years my wife was stuck in a chair. Reading had always been her favorite thing to do*, and her Kindle made that vastly simpler because I didn't have to do anything for her. And it was much lighter than a book, was backlit, etc. We never got into using the library, we bought books from Amazon - hundreds of books - but that was her only real indulgence and well within our means.

I subscribe to something called BookBub, which daily emails me a list of Kindle ebooks that are on sale for one to three dollars, or even free. I pick up anything interesting, including quite a few books I own in paper because it is so damned convenient. I have the Kindle app on my phone, iPads, and PCs, all sharing our library.

Special offers is no big deal. When my Kindle shuts down it leaves an advertisement showing on the front. As far as I know that is all it means.

*(We always joked that she married me for my library, though by then she had read just about everything there she was interested in. I had - have - quite a few books!)
Love my kindle(s)—I’m embarrassed to say that I own 5. Three kindle fires, my first Kindle ,I think it was the second generation), plus another older kindle. May get a paperwhite in the near future.

I love them all for different reasons. The old Kindles are really easy on my eyes—important when you look at screens all day. The Fires are great for travel—my whole library is at my fingertips, plus movies, plus Audible. The smaller one fits in my purse; that larger one is great for reading magazines.

One trick: if you have a friend with similar taste in books, consider each of you getting a second older, basic kindle and swapping with your fried. DBF and I did that—now I have all his books plus all my books.

I have had my kindles “with offers” but eventually paid to have them removed. I did not find them particularly intrusive.

I personally have not had much luck checking out books from the library on my kindle. We have that option, but every time I wanted something it wasn’t available. I guess only so many people can download at a time.

I have Prime and get a choice of a kindle book every month. Some are good, some aren’t. Prime also has the Kindle lending library where you can borrow certain books. I’ve had Unlimited from time to time but canceled—felt like I wasn’t always getting my $$’s worth when I was busy at work, etc.

Your kindle can hold a TON of books. I probably have 700+ on mine, with room to spare.

Oh, there are often free books on Amazon, too.
We have the free Kindle app on our cell phones and tablets. It allows us to read Kindle books from Amazon and elsewhere. So, unless you prefer the look and feel of a dedicated Kindle reading device, use any of your computers.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've bought maybe 3 Kindles, but now I use a Speck tablet, and it does a lot more. And it costs a lot less. I bought mine at a Verizon store.

Periodically, I delete a bunch of books from the Speck tablet to make room for new books. I bought the Kindle books and I can reload them any time I want.

Karen
No. of Recommendations: 3
They show Kindle paperweights from $129 - $249 depending upon the bells and whistles.

They go on sale regularly for $30 and $40 less than those prices:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07PS737QQ?context=searc...

Would like to avoid commercials/ads if possible, especially if they are intruding or annoying....

I've never found them intrusive. You see an ad when you power-up. I barely notice it anymore. On the list of books, one book line is an ad. Again, barely notice it. 99.9% of the time I'm reading books, and no ads there anywhere.

do I have to pay for Kindle unlimited? OR don't I need that?

I don't think it's worth the $9.99 a month price. I might consider it at $2.99.

But there are SOOOOO many free books available, and they change daily. I publish new lists every day, rotating between genres:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeEBOOKS/search?q=author%3Arharme...

I currently have about 20,000 books in my Amazon Cloud. 99.9% of them were free.

I have author and book watchlists on eReaderIQ.com to let me know when authors I like discount their books, or when specific books become free.

Can't I just download a book from Amazon Prime for free or do they charge for most recent, up-to-date books? If so, charge is probably minimal right?

With Amazon Prime, you can download one KU book per calendar month, no charge. You can also download up to 10 of the "Kindle Prime" books, but it's only about a thousand books.

Local library here does show they have downloads for Kindles and other e-books - I guess those would be free since I do have a library card. that's probably what I would do, since I'm rather cheap (only about small things....lol).

That's where you would get free mainstream books. I'm not sure I've ever seen a KU book there. It's very easy to get books from the library -- it just sends you to the Amazon site and is a very similar process to buying a Kindle book, except that you are borrowing it instead of purchasing it.

Otherwise, mainstream Kindle books are expensive. Sometimes more than their dead tree versions.

If I read a book and then delete it, it doesn't use up my storage????

I try to keep less than a dozen books on my Kindle -- the ones I plan to read next. Those other 20,000 stay in the Amazon cloud. I don't need to clutter up my reading device with hundreds or thousands of books.

I manage my books on GoodReads.com. Every time I buy I book, I add it to my "To Be Read" shelf, as well as one genre-descriptive shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/2029520?shelf=currentl...

I see the paperweight for $129 is supposed to be waterproof and non-glare....Is that a fact?

I don't have a waterproof one. But the eInk screens don't glare, because they aren't backlit. The PaperWhite actually has it's own lighting built in, but they are FRONT lit. That's less eyestrain than a backlit display.
We have the free Kindle app on our cell phones and tablets.

I started this way but eventually went to the Kindle paperwhite because the iPad was not useful to read outside. If I was buying now, I might go with the waterproof one but at this point, it does work inside a ziplock for beach and tub.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I love my kindle. I have had probably 5 now, from the oversized DX to the most recent voyage. I like them all, and I was a library/real book kind of girl. But I use the kindle unlimited all the time - I just finished a 17-book series free of charge. I use bookbub to get good deals, from free to 2.99. You can highlight, search books for key words, and make notes without damaging the book. It is so lightweight that my favorite epic books feel too heavy now. The ads are almost unnoticable.

I have managed to declutter and clear out so much space at home. A clear bonus for me. I have an entire library and it isn't getting dusty or taking up space. These days, I only purchase very special books in hardcopy or certain reference books (such as cookbooks) that I feel I might need in its original form. Even then, some of my cookbooks are kept on the kindle and referenced there.
I had the foresight to get a kindle (paperwhite) back before things got really bad so I could download books from the library without going to the library. But it didn't work out like I hoped because the ebook selection from my library is limited. VERY VERY LIMITED. When I feel up to it I'll see if there are any books I can download for free or for a nominal fee from Amazon. I do like the idea of the Kindle but I am also sure glad that, when three years ago (about?) I got rid of most of my books, I kept about 100 books that I just couldn't part with. Now I am just re-reading them - most of the ones I kept were non-fiction interestingly enough (because I would estimate that at least 80% of my library was fiction), and one of the things that is sort of neat is that so much has changed! For instance the book I'm reading right now is titled "Bubbles, Voids and Bumps in Time: The New Cosmology". It was published BEFORE the Hubble telescope was launched - one of the recurrent statements in the book is basically "when the telescope is finally launched we will be able to resolve this, or we will have a better idea" ... For some reason this gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that we did so good at something. Im glad I've lived long enough to see these changes and advances. Needless to say a couple of my anthropology books will be proven rather spectacularly wrong by all of the DNA/RNA mapping so I can't wait to reread them as well.
I LOVE the Kindle Paperwhite.

1. Light and easy to hold in a bright-pink faux leather protector. Without the bright protector it's slippery and easy to lose around the house.

2. Side lighting is easy on the eyes.

3. Easy to adjust font size and contrast. Much less eyestrain when reading for a long time.

4. Quick download of books -- free from the library.

I highly recommend this product.
Wendy
Easy to adjust font size and contrast. Much less eyestrain when reading for a long time.

Years ago, my mom "stole" my first Kindle when she found out she could get library books on it. The adjustment took a few weeks, but then she loved it. Over the years, her font size has been getting larger and larger...

She used to spend hours and hours reading every day.

Now she's asking about audio books. She has an Amazon Echo device, so I told her it could read many Kindle books to her. But I'm looking at borrowing some audio books from the library for her.
My Audible account is something I treasure. I think it’s something like $15 a month, and I get one credit to buy an audiobook each month. Also get two free (and often more) Audible Originals each month. Also they have a lot of 2 for 1 sales and lots of opportunities to buy extra credits at a discount.

Relatively speaking, it is sort of expensive, I suppose, but if a person listens to a lot of Audiobooks (I do, especially when I’m driving), it’s really worth it. Again: I recommend finding a friend who likes the same kinds of books and sharing an account.

There’s also a surprising number of audiobooks available on YouRube. DBF listens to them all the time. I give him a hard time about copyright violations, but a lot are on there legally thru LibriVox. .