Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm thinking about buying a condo building as income property with Uncle Sam's help through the Federal Housing Authority (FHA). All I have to do is live there for a couple of years and rent out the rest

Is it really that simple? Especially with Condos, that for tax purposes are different properties?

You could get FHA financing the way you plan if you buy an apartment building, but legally a condo building is a different type of entity.

Look before you leap; it seems to me that FHA would only finance you on the unit you purchased to live in. Also, is this a vacant building? If not, is it presently being run as an apartment building rather than a condo? What are the covenants on the deeds? Given that it is a condo building, you might find yourself dealing with a condo association as a legal obligation.

I have one apartment complex that a previous owner ran through a Condo conversion (God alone knows why), however, I don't encounter any complications since the property has always been run as apartment and never as condos.

However, at property tax time, I get a stack of bills a foot thick for that one property...
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.