Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Not ready to replace my cabinets as they are in excellent condition however the sides (ends) of the cabinets and the sides of the island are fake oak finish unlike the wood cabinets themselves and they are faded. Has anyone done something creative with their cabinet sides that turned out well?

Looking for some options. I was thinking about doing faux stone, cutting out the sides and replacing with real oak wood.
Print the post Back To Top
Take this as an idea, not a suggestion. I’ve never used the stuff. But how about actual wood veneer?

https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Supply-Veneer-Sheet-Stick/dp/B08...
I should have used the correct work in my post, my cabinet sides are veneer just like you posted.

I could go with the same thing I guess however was hoping for someone nicer/long lasting. The 3 sides that get some sun faded pretty well and the other side not getting sun have changed color as well. Just lighter washed out look. It bugs me, most people do not notice.
We found a local person who applied spray lacquer to cabinets. At one time he worked for a cabinet company and this was how they changed a dark cabinet into a white one or repaired installation errors. The key is lacquer -- which is like automobile paint. So make sure the surfaces to be sprayed are good - there will absolutely no leveling effect as the paint dries. But the coating adheres and is much harder than normal paint.
The 3 sides that get some sun faded pretty well and the other side not getting sun have changed color as well. Just lighter washed out look. It bugs me, most people do not notice.
That isn't because it's veneer.
That's a function of the finish on the wood and what it's been exposed to.
Usually fading is related to UV light. So a more UV-resistant finish will help reduce fading, as will windows that block more of the UV light. Most likely you have some sort of stain and then a varnish over the top of that. The varnish may have been thinner on large flat areas, so may not have blocked as much of the UV. or could even be different varnish between the doors and the sides of the cabinet.
Kitchen cabinets, because they are made to line up in a row under your counter, are generally sold without finished sides. Yet at the end of the row there is a finished side. How does that work? Well, they sell the finished side separately, as a piece of luan, birch, or other wood which can be finished (or painted) to match the rest of the cabinetry.

I have bought several at Lowe’s, although they are not on high display you can find them if you look (or ask.) Once you have that it’s simple, just cut to the correct size, finish, tack nail somewhere around the four corners, and you’re done, and you have what appears to be a brand new cabinet side.

The other option, obviously, is to paint the offending part, assuming the rest of the cabinets are painted, of course. Brush painting will never compete with the finish of the rest of the cabinets, but it is possible to mask the area and spray a couple rounds and get a decent finish.

You can brush paint if you’re careful and you’re willing to go 3 or 5 coats and sand carefully in between each going with higher and higher grits as you move along. My Dad had a guy do his bathroom cabinets over and they came out factory fresh. It also took nearly two weeks of painting and sanding, but the guy was a true craftsman,