Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Knee,

Thanks for the response. I think we're on the same wavelength. Looks like we both have more questions than answers, huh.

I buy into the Gorilla Game thesis both cognitively as well as via my investments. It's the valuation thing that I continue to struggle with. There's a leap of faith that I've been taking on high valuations of the stocks I buy and hold and while its worked out well, it still keeps me thinking. What if AG changes margin requirements or bumps up interest rates to offer other opportunities to investors? How high would he go before the flow into the NASDAQ changes? How would this impact the Gorillas and Kings which are often part of the index?

The demographics of the investing population certainly is one cause of the bull market. Combine this with the birth of the Internet and on-line investing and you have a potent potion. I also believe that index funds have had an underrated impact on stock valuations. How many of us regularly dump part of our paychecks into our 401-k or 403-b into index funds which are great investments but in essence invest blindly in the pre-selected stocks of the index. It would be really interesting to see how much of the market cap of a QCOM or a GMST were due to index investing. If that index variance were broken out and accounted for separately, would metrics like P/S and P/E be more in line with historical trends? Don't know and maybe it doesn't matter but it would be interesting to see.

Well, that's enough heavy thinking for a Sunday. It's time for a run.

Akoni

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.