Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Koyasan: You asked: My question(yes! I'm finally getting to it)pertains to the Vanguard Index Fund which I read about in the book. Should I be speaking to my agent about moving our money into the Vanguard Index Funds? Can an agent of Primerica have access to the Vanguard Funds?

My two cents on this.

Part of Fooldom is the learning to do it oneself with the help a bunch of friends, those on the many message boards and the TMF'ers. Vanguard funds are "no-load", which means, usually, that any financial planner, broker, etc. who is working for commissions, won't touch them with a ten-foot pole. Nor will they recommend them to you. In fact, if you do as you say and ask your Primerica rep about these funds, I'd almost bet he'd offer to sell you another fund which would "do as well".

No, once you do it yourself, you need to do it yourself. Go to www.vanguard.com and ask for a prospectus to be sent to you. They will also send you (at the same time) an application form which you will have to fill out. The process is "harder" than dealing with an agent who can use his computer data base to fill out forms to buy new funds. But usually the return is better, if you stick with the "better" performing funds (with long term winning records). Another step would be to check a site like www.quicken.com, ww.morningstar.com or www.smartmoney.com to check the relative returns of the funds you currently hold (compared to the S&P 500, for example) You may be suprised by what you find, either way.

I'm quickly getting into three cents worth of information, so I'll let you do some hunting on your own. Post further questions here as you work through the process of investing on your own.

Have a great day!

OldToad
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.