Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Here is an old Schwaben dish that has been a favorite of mine since I was a small child. Every time we make it I can't seem to eat enough. My grandmother used to make it often with home made noodles. The only other place I've ever ran across Kraut Fleckle was on the luncheon menu at the Hotel Pitter in Salzburg. This isn't necessarily the best dish for the cholesterol impaired, but hey, enjoy life once in a while. If eating pork is a no-no you can substitute schmalz (chicken fat) and cooked chicken for the lard and pork.

Kraut Fleckle (translates to shredded cabbage in Schwaben dialect)

1 medium head of cabbage, coarsely chopped

16 oz. package wide flat egg noodles, (it's better with thicker home made noodles, recipe below)

1 clove garlic minced

2 tablespoon minced onion or scallions

2-3 tablespoons lard (you can use vegetable oil, but it won't be as good)

2 cups diced leftover roast pork (braised pork shoulder cooked with sauerkraut is best)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper(lottsa pepper is good)

1/2 teaspoon of sugar

Cook the noodles in boiling salted water until al dente. Heat the lard In a large deep skillet with a tight fitting cover and saute the garlic and onion over medium to high heat until translucent. Add the chopped cabbage, salt, pepper and sugar (sugar helps brown the cabbage) mix and turn frequently until the cabbage is browned and well done. Add the noodles and diced pork continuing to turn frequently to brown but not burn the noodles for about five minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20-30 min. turning periodically to avoid burning. Serve with applesauce, some rye bread and butter and a nice cold glass of Spatlese or Liebfraumilch.

Home made noodles

4 eggs

1/4 cup water

Salt, a couple of pinches

4-5 cups flour

Beat the eggs, water and salt until well mixed. Place the flour on a board, make a well, pour in the eggs and mix until the mixture can be kneaded. Knead into a soft dough add water, a few drops at a time, or flour as needed to get a smooth non sticky mass of dough. Leave dough on a lightly floured board covered with a damp cloth, and let standfor 20-30 minutes. Knead again until smooth and elastic. Cut dough in half and roll out until it is about twice the thickness of packaged noodles, an 1/8 " or so, slightly irregular thickness is OK or maybe even better. With a sharp knife cut the noodles into parallelograms (squres or rectangles won't work, gotta be parllelograms) ;-) about 1 -11/2" wide. Spread the noodles on a dry cloth and dry for 5-6 hours before cooking. Dry noodles may be stored in a tightly covered container. My grandma made them with duck eggs, but that's another story.

das schmecht nach mehr!

derLogi

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.