No. of Recommendations: 0
Kurtv,

You can create a new library and select photos from multiple folders to be part of the show without the need of copying or moving files to another location.

You mean you can select certain photos from one folder, and certain photos from another folder, and so on... then have all the selected photos appear in your new library? I thought one could only put folders in libraries, not individual files.

I admit I haven't played with libraries much. It seems needlessly goofy and limiting. They already had files called Shortcuts that you can double-click on to open the file pointed to. Why not create something similar, called perhaps Indirects, that (once created in a folder) simply appear to be the file (or folder) pointed to? With an option, if the Indirect points to a folder, to appear as either just that folder or as all the items within that folder.

Then you could create libraries just by making a folder and saving in it an Indirect pointing to each folder you want to include. Or even Indirects to individual files, if that's what you want.

Of course Windows Explorer would need a mode where it shows you the Indirect files themselves instead of what they point to... so you could do things like copy some of the Indirects to another folder (copying in normal mode would of course just copy the files the Indirects point to). And in normal mode, you might want some small subtle indicator on files that appear through an Indirect just so you know. Backup programs would have to know to back up the Indirect file itself, not the file pointed to, but all other programs would just function on the file pointed to.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.