Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Dana al-Nassrallah will be the first woman athlete to compete for Kuwait. She will run in the 100 meters, although her times hovering around 13 seconds won't win, it's a win for women in sport in Kuwait, at 16 Dana is an Olympic pioneer.

(See Yahoo! for the full article)

=) Megan
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
How did she get in? 13 seconds isn't anywhere near even the "B" standard required to qualify. (11.40 for the women's 100m). Did they make some sort of exception for her, in the spirit of trying to encourage women participation from the Middle East? I didn't see it in the Yahoo! article, if so.

Article here: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040812/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_kuwaiti_olympian_run_1

--WP
How did she get in?

I was wondering that, too, but thought it might be related to the swimmer from an African (? maybe South American) country who was highlighted in Sydney.

Because of disqualifications, he had to swim his heat alone. He wasn't a very good swimmer and his time wasn't even close to Olympic standards. (I probably could have beaten him.) It was one of the first times he had even swum the event and the crowd ended up cheering him on.

There were several "feel good" stories on him afterwards. Therein, they explained some rule that allowed sub-Olympic performers to be awarded spots to compete at the Games.

This guy practiced in a motel pool that was something like 10 meters long. I want to say that he was even a little afraid of drowning. His country was trying to get a swimming program started but had very little money. So, with help from whatever rule is out there, they were able to send a small team to Sydney to compete.

Granted, this was four years ago, but that's what i recall.
I know that FINA (world org for swimming) is trying to encourage swimming in other countries and that several swimmers were allowed to compete in Sydney even though they didn't meet the qualifications. I know that there was at least one man and one woman, whatever countries they were from, one didn't even have a swimming pool and the other one had a little tiny pool in a hotel.

That is probably what happend with this girl. They might also have some type of rule that allows each country to send one athlete regardless of standards if no one has been competing internationally.

=) Megan
Granted, this was four years ago, but that's what i recall.

That's about the facts as I remember them too.