Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think she should be there.
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think she should be there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I will add my .02 on this. I have no problem with Kwan making the team. The woman has contributed much to the sport, and did finish 4th in the last worlds, which enabled the U.S. to gain 3 spots in Torino. So for all she has done for skating, she deserves a spot. I think she is smart enough to know that if she can't compete, she will back out, and Emily Hughes will step in.

I remember a few years ago Todd Eldridge had similar issues, and he was allowed to compete. So I can see how they would give Kwan the same consideration.

Charlie
No. of Recommendations: 2
Nothing wrong with giving her a chance, but she was not ready to perform and has cost someone else the opportunity to fully prepare physically and mentally for the games. I think she is being selfish!
Nothing wrong with giving her a chance, but she was not ready to perform and has cost someone else the opportunity to fully prepare physically and mentally for the games.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emily Hughes is hte alternate. I am willing to bet the US Skating Federation has her preparing just in case. Kwan's test was not 100% perfect, and Kwan has admitted it. I bet Hughes was told to be ready just in case.

Charlie
I remember a few years ago Todd Eldridge had similar issues, and he was allowed to compete. So I can see how they would give Kwan the same consideration.

And a few years before that, Kwan qualified for the Olympics, but gave up her spot without protest so that the injured-during-nationals Nancy Kerrigan could go.

David
I don't think Michelle gave up her spot, I think it was the same sort of thing that is going on now. I'm also sure that US Skating has Emily Hughes primed and ready to go if need be.

I think Michelle is probably just very emotional right now. She wants to earn Gold and go out on top, she wants this last chance so she can prove to herself that she can obtain this elusive award. She's probably disappointed, especially in her fall today, but the media isn't helping things any.

=) Megan
No. of Recommendations: 4
Nothing wrong with giving her a chance, but she was not ready to perform and has cost someone else the opportunity to fully prepare physically and mentally for the games. I think she is being selfish!

I think this is completely and utterly ridiculous.

1. If *Kwan* does not finish 4th at World's, only 2 US skaters even are in the competition...so Hughes would not ever have had a shot.

2. Hughes did not skate all that well at trials. If she had really wanted to earn a spot, she should have skated better. Her poor trial made it a lot easier for USA Skating (or whomever made the call) to pull her off the team in place of Kwan.

3. Hughes has been training as if she will compete. The alternate ALWAYS trains as if they will compete because anything can happen...whether it is Kwan or someone else that has to drop out.

4. Kwan has done as much for skating in the US as anyone and has earned the opportunity. If she is physically unable to do it, she will step aside. But if she is able to go, she should.

5. Would you rather go to a system like the one used in Track and Field? Place in the top xx at trials or you don't compete, period? If you say yes, be very careful what you wish for -- we have had the best people in the world in events hurt themselves at trials and miss the team...only to be 100% healthy in time for the Olympics. But with no process for letting anyone in other than the qualifiers, they were SOL.

Acme
I don't think Michelle gave up her spot, I think it was the same sort of thing that is going on now.

Well, she didn't make the final decision; but she very quickly said after coming in second in nationals that it was the right thing to do. And said it with a smile.

David

Oh get real. Emily Hughes was back home preparing for the liklihood she would be called to Torino, and the competition is over a week away. How much more time does she need to get physically and mentally ready for the games? Besides, all the attention will be on sister Sarah.

Fuskie
Who was glad to see Kwan had the chance to march in the opening ceremonies and hopes she stays to cheer on the American team...
Fuskie, she says she's not gonna stay. She doesn't want to be a distraction. And left unspoken was the more likely possibility, IMO, that she wants to get away from Torino and lick her wounds in private. She says it's OK if she doesn't win gold, but she ain't BSing this old BSer. It's NOT OK, and you could tell how much it hurt her by the look on her face. She looked like she could bust out crying at any moment. The only way she stays, IMO, is if NBC offers her a boatload of money to commentate on the skating, and it'll have to be a pretty big boatload.
The only way she stays, IMO, is if NBC offers her a boatload of money to commentate on the skating, and it'll have to be a pretty big boatload.

NBC did offer a boatload of money, about an hour after the announcement.

Fuskie
Who found the timing to be a bit tacky...