Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So I found this yarn........it's lace weight (it's so thin, you could almost use it as heavy duty sewing thread). It's an exquisitely soft lambswool yarn from Japan and I'd really like to make myself a nice openwork wrap. I'd like the overall shape to be a long rectangle (with maybe a scalloped edge?) and in a really pretty lacy design.....I'm thinking size 5 or 6 needles would create a nice open fabric without looking like a fisherman's net. Has anyone seen any pretty patterns that fit in line (even a little bit) with this?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
In my Google searches I've seen many lacey, openwork shawls. Try something like "lace shawl pattern free knit"...or similar (well, only include the "free" if you want! :-))

Or, do you have a book with various stitches? I made myself a couple scarves (not heavy winter ones, but lightweight accessory ones) just using lace stitches I liked.

Ellen
No. of Recommendations: 1
Has anyone seen any pretty patterns that fit in line (even a little bit) with this?

Dang! I didn't see the pattern, but I saw a shawl today, in a local department store. It was a lambswool/mohair lace weight yarn, a pretty cream color, somewhat fuzzy. The main motif was a simple daisy-like shape, about 1.5" to 2" in diameter. The infill was mainly loopy crosses (not at all religious), each arm the same size and shape as one of the daisy petals. And then of course, all the little knots and whatnot in between. At least three times as much space devoted to the crosses as to the flower shapes.

How's that for a pattern?

Oh. You wanted directions.

Sorry. But it was a beautiful shawl.

greet.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Here's a site with a lot of links to lace patterns. I haven't looked at them all (my computer froze when I tried to look at one!) but there are a lot of shawl patterns here:

http://wendyknits.net/knit/freelace.htm

And here are some shawl patterns:

http://knitting.about.com/library/blshawlpic.htm

Also, size 5 or 6 needles might be too big. I've done a bit of knitting on crochet cotton, and size 2 seems to be a good size, though for something more open maybe a size or two up?

You could always do what I do--experiment (which often involves a lot of unraveling...)

Ellen