Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
LadyGay, you wrote, "As to "concise", I thought that as one withdraws from an IRA and the tax consequences come home to roost, knowing your original dollar cost was important. I guess, if this is true, that keeping separate accounts would mean an easier way to keep the cost basis for each separate."
--------
If all of your contributions to your standard IRA's were deductible, your cost basis is ZERO. All distributions will be taxable.

If some contributions were non-deductible, yes, the cost basis is the non-deductible amount of the contribution. This is usually lumped together on IRS Form 8??? (it's been too long since April 15th). So if you roll them over into one IRA, the basis will be the sum of the non-deductible contributions.

In the same way, when you get to mandatory distributions at the age of 70.5, and if you have more than one standard IRA, you sum the values, calculate the minimum distribution, and take it out of whichever IRA suits your fancy! At least, that's how the current rules work. Of course, I don't know how far in the future that lies for you.

By the way, if you are making non-deducible contributions to an IRA, please consider starting a Roth IRA, unless your income is over the limit.

Sincerely,
Betty G
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.