Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife and I own a single family home that has been rented to various families since 1984. The current tenant (13+ years) is a retired Catholic nun that forwarded a request from the Assistant Treasurer of her Motherhouse.

The request reads in part:
"I need your help in getting information from your landlord. I am attaching a W-9 Request form for Taxpayer Information to be filled out by your landlord. . . . We need this information because we have to file the 1099 Tax Forms for the rent that has been paid by you to your landlord. This rent is considered income for them and we have to report it to the IRS."

I assume this is the result of some new reporting requirement and the Order pays or assists in paying the rent. If it matters, the lease is between us and the Sister as an individual and she pays rent with a personal check, although that may be drawn on the Motherhouse account.

My tenant thought this was a one-time thing. This is a new one on me, Form 1099 for rent. Can some one enlighten me?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.