No. of Recommendations: 1
Instead of going with friends to the Boz Scaggs concert last night, we met up with them in a restaurant downtown in our burb. It was the night of the Christmas tree-lighting ceremony and we could see some of it from the window by our upstairs table overlooking the park. Oddly enough, the main tree and ceremony were three blocks away in the parking lot of a Safeway. It's not that they put up a tree in the grocer's lot for the occasion, it's that the tree was there long before the store and it's really, really big now.

At the same time, Portland was doing its own tree-lighting ceremony in its own downtown. This is two years after the FBI nabbed a guy who was planning to blow up a bunch of people at that ceremony. A guy, it just so coincidentally happens -- what are the odds? -- who has the same religion and mindset of the folks who surround Israel and are always trying to blow them up. Maybe if Israel invited the terrorists to the Tel Aviv Gay Pride parade and gave them some beer, they'd begin to see that we're all the same inside.

This is only the second time I've met this couple -- the woman is DW's friend from volunteering. I must have made a good impression because they invited us for Christmas dinner. Dang -- now I wish I'd have slurped my soup.

--fleg
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.