Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Last one from me on this topic :-) While writing up the previous post I thought of a couple of older video games that the kids enjoyed playing with me so I thought I'd mention them.

Knack - This is a third person platformer where your character is made from small artifacts and gets bigger and stronger the more artifacts he collects. It isn't the strongest game, but it's great for kids as the main character is kinda cute, the platforming elements of the game aren't too punishing in most cases, and the tougher fights can be won with some of the special abilities available. More important is the co-op ability where a second person can control a character and help out with the fights. My youngest really enjoyed this when he was about 5, and loved to sit down with me and play a level or two together whenever he got a chance. He was pretty proud of himself after winning a hard battle and loved the levels where Knack became really giant. This one is worth it for the younger ones if you can find a cheap copy.

Rayman - This is a side scrolling run and jump affair where there are many characters you can choose from and many different enemies to fight. There are some really well done unique levels, some good boss fights, and lots of hidden treasures to find and unlock. This one can get very challenging at times, though, which is where the multiplayer component comes in. Once there are multiple players you can keep going through the level when one person dies and revive the other person after a few seconds. This allows younger (or easily frustrated) kids to make it through some of the tougher parts assuming mom or dad can get through them :-) We went nuts on the Rayman Legends game and even did a lot of the time trials to the point where we ended up with a platinum on PS4. You have to really like the game to stick with it that long I suppose.

Terraria - This is basically 2D minecraft. Not really my thing, but a couple of my kids really got into it, and you can play two player which helps with exploring, collecting materials, and fighting some challenging bosses. There is a lot to collect and craft in this game, and you can essentially dig all the way down to a hellscape area with some pretty tough bosses. This isn't one you beat in 10 or 15 hours, but instead can put hundreds of hours into and still never really "complete" everything. Many times my role was to just be the one looking stuff up on the ipad while the boys played and tried to craft things. Still a fun experience you can do together I suppose!

Over the years we have also really enjoyed some of the more popular games. Right now the latest Luigi's Mansion is big around here (another nice co-op), and we have some regulars like Mario Kart (big one still for my teenage daughter), Mario Party, Warcraft/Starcraft (the boys are playing through Reforged campaigns and customs against the AI). As others have mentioned, pretty much any Lego game is great to play co-op as well. Lots of puzzles to solve that aren't too tough to figure out for the kids and a lot of fun characters and powers to try.

So I guess the bottom line is... we play entirely too many video games at our house.

Robinson
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.