Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By postpanic

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 11/13/09 12:07 PM
  • Number: 4259
  • Recommendations: 3
You're right that "bending the curve" isn't the current goal in DC. But as a Gen Xer looking at funding the healthcare costs of a very large (and relatively unhealthy) Boomer generation as they hit their prime healthcare consumption years,
(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/12/09 4:15 PM
  • Number: 4251
  • Recommendations: 4
The current CBO director (who I am starting to feel is the last honest bureaucrat left in Washington, beside Volcker) has said there are two - and only two - levers that Congress can pull to "bend the curve" for future health care costs.
(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/12/09 3:49 PM
  • Number: 38316
  • Recommendations: 2
Thanks for posting. Cooperman has been venturing down this same rathole for years to no avail. But I think he is close to getting what he wants. WLP is already on record saying they will consider a dividend "in the next few years" which
(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/5/09 4:31 PM
  • Number: 158169
  • Recommendations: 0
BUFFETT: CASH MAKES ME COMFORTABLE.WE'RE USING -- OF THE $16 BILLION IN CASH REQUIRED WE'LL BORROW $8 BILLION BUT WE'LL BORROW FROM THE BANKS AND PAY IT BACK PROMPTLY.

At the very least, it's nice to see that commercial lending by
(Continued...)
  • Date: 7/31/09 3:00 PM
  • Number: 156071
As expected, the economic downturn has hit the railroads pretty hard. Raircar traffic is way down as more and more railcars are being stored.

Having less railcar traffic would help metrics such as train velocity and terminal

(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/20/09 1:55 PM
  • Number: 154888
  • Recommendations: 3
Just a couple of guesses on the KFT investment:

* Margins are rising versus declining from a peak
* Strong brands = real moat and pricing power, both are rare
* History of not doing stupid things with capital (like JNJ)
* Lots
(Continued...)
  • Date: 2/12/09 2:49 PM
  • Number: 2151
Michael Steinhardt is one manager who would do this. He'd start over with a clean slate from time to time. His investors knew about this strategy and he traded a fair amount anyway, so it wasn't out of character for him. It could be for a manager
(Continued...)
  • Date: 12/3/08 11:02 AM
  • Number: 35490
  • Recommendations: 0
Another option is to fund the redemption with existing cash and adjust the asset allocation in a better market (or at least on a day when the market is up rather than in freefall.) That's not theoretical but a strategy that I've had to employ as a
(Continued...)
  • Date: 12/3/08 8:01 AM
  • Number: 35488
  • Recommendations: 10
Don't know the exact circumstances of course, but if they acted like a lot of institutional investors then it probably went down like this -- there was a meeting where the client voiced their objections, the manager responded, days or months passed,
(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/4/08 8:54 AM
  • Number: 146670
  • Recommendations: 10
There are two Westinghouse Air Brake progeny - Wabco (WBC) for buses and commercial truck braking systems and Wabtec (WAB) for train braking and safety systems. They are both well-run companies with limited competition. For instance, many of Wabco's
(Continued...)
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z