Skip to main content
Show Latest Posts:

The 10 Most Recent Messages By PhilWeiss

Take me back to where I was.
  • Date: 6/20/08 12:45 PM
  • Number: 44432
  • Recommendations: 1
Sorry for taking so long to respond to your question:

How much does it cost "big oil" to buy its oil?

The oil companies I cover typically don't do much hedging. When they do, they hedge the selling price rather than
(Continued...)
  • Date: 5/15/08 2:42 PM
  • Number: 44341
  • Recommendations: 13
I cover the Energy sector on a daily basis and am more than willing to admit that I can't fully explain why oil prices have gone up so much. I will say that I disagree with Oppenheimer's comment from back in October though. I say this even though I
(Continued...)
  • Date: 8/7/07 10:41 AM
  • Number: 2791
  • Recommendations: 0
The only change there may be to the stockholders' equity account from a stock split or dividend would be shuffling between the common stock and additional paid in capital (APIC) accounts. If the split causes a change in par value, then the excess
(Continued...)
  • Date: 7/11/07 10:42 PM
  • Number: 2789
It's been awhile since I looked at this but there is a difference. A stock split simply increases the number of shares by a pre-determined ratio. There should not be an impact on par value or paid-in-capital. Here the company simply increases the
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/7/07 11:45 PM
  • Number: 2787
  • Recommendations: 4
I know the analyst that covers BJ Services likes the company's prospects, but it's not one I cover, so I can't really offer a meaningful comment. Of the 24 companies I cover six are services companies but mine all market various rig types, which is
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/2/07 12:52 PM
  • Number: 2785
  • Recommendations: 3
Glad to see there are at least a handful of folks that still have this board on their favorites. Available time can be a challenge these days, but I'd like to see if I can get some discussion going. I've been having an ongoing discussion with
(Continued...)
  • Date: 3/1/07 3:27 PM
  • Number: 2780
I was just poking around the boards looking for some info, and I thought I'd post and see if anyone that used to follow along on this board was still out there. Let me know if you are.

Lots have been going on in my world. We had our fourth
(Continued...)
  • Date: 10/24/05 11:48 AM
  • Number: 395
  • Recommendations: 3
I've been writing a research report on BSX. Here's the current draft paragraph that I have on flexible endoscopes. Note that the 2006 date that appears below may be optimistic. I have to review what the company recently said about this. Off the top
(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/22/04 10:37 PM
  • Number: 2776
  • Recommendations: 5
how do you factor in a company buying back shares? KO and MSFT do this all the time. I own both stocks (I'm concerned whether I should hold on to KO since their earnings and growth have been ahem less than stellar, there are other things such as
(Continued...)
  • Date: 11/19/04 11:59 PM
  • Number: 2774
You're right. Pension accounting is pretty complex as is its less publicized partner health care expenses. Both are full of assumptions that can easily be manipulated to make earnings look better. Unfortunately, my software doesn't allow me to
(Continued...)
Show Latest Posts:
Total = 10

Take me back to where I was.
Stock Folders: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z