Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A window pops up on Microsoft Edge saying that Microsoft software has indicated that my system has been compromised, hackers have my bank information, and that I needed to call their phone number right away. But if that wasn't incentive enough for me to fall into their trap, the pop-up message and voice (English female accent) said that if I didn't seek help, my IP address would be reported to whoever for some type of adverse action against me.

I had to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get out of Edge and then ran my free Malwarebytes software to get rid of it. Somehow, I think this one will likely come back again. I had something similar early last year. Any thoughts on the latest anti-virus/hacking software out there?

Also, perhaps more disturbing, I actually got a call from someone saying they were tech support and had remotely detect problems with my system. The individual had what I thought was an Indian accent, similar to what used to be common with tech support services provided by Dell and others. Just curious if anyone else has had to deal with that.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.