Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Laxduslimited,

Welcome to the board! I'm too tired today, so I can only afford to write a short answer.

The components in Nokia's cell phones come from many manufacturers, including Texas Instruments, RF Microdevices, TriQuint Semiconductor, International Rectifier, Intel, among others.

If the world decided to follow and eventually changed to QCOM's CDMA

There's some confusion here. GSM has 56% of worldwide mobile subscribers, while CDMA only has 11.7%. There are no significant differences in voice quality and spectrum efficiency between GSM and the current generation of CDMA. The world is not going to switch to Qualcomm's second generation CDMA system any time soon. As China Unicom demonstrated, it is simply not economically viable to do so.

As for third generation systems, there are really five flavors, as defined by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) as part of the IMT-2000 standard:

- IMT-DS Direct Spread (formerly known as WCDMA)
- IMT-MC Multi Carrier (formerly known as cdma2000)
- IMT-TC Time-Code
- IMT-SC Single Carrier
- IMT-FT Frequency Time

The first two are based on CDMA, IMT-TC is a combination of CDMA and TDMA, IMT-SC is TDMA, and IMT-FT is a combination of TDMA and FDMA.

Nokia, Ericsson, NTT DoCoMo, SK Telecom, among others, support IMT-DS as the 3G upgrade path for GSM, TDMA and NTT's PDC network, while Qualcomm pushes IMT-MC. I doubt the other standards will ever get implemented. Because of GSM's huge install base, most believe that IMT-DS will get the overwhelming marketshare, but Qualcomm bulls believe that Qualcomm will receive royalty fees no matter which standard mobile operators choose. I think the royalty issue is still unresolved and it is too early to tell, simply because Nokia, Ericsson and NTT DoCoMo started developing WCDMA long before Qualcomm started cdma2000 research. Who pays whom and how much are still unknowns. Besides, 3G will not be commercial available until several years later. GPRS, HSCSD and EDGE systems are where the money is.

Nokia's business is not just making/assemblying cell phones. Nokia is into wireless infrastructure, internet infrastructure, fixed wireless, firewalls, DSL, TETRA systems, etc. The best place to start reading up on Nokia's business is its website:

http://www.nokia.com

Hope I haven't caused too much confusion.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.