Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Guys. I am thinking this might be off topic, but it really is Living Below Your Means kind of stuff. If you think I should post it to some other board, please let me know.

We have a granddaughter who graduated from college this year. After wracking our brains on a good gift we could give her, we have almost decided to give her some stock. My question to you, is how to accomplish this simply. We have a couple goals -- 1.) that she not be able to immediately cash out the stock and take the money and run, and 2.) we want it to be simple.

We were thinking of telling her that we would be buying stock this coming year for ourselves, and every time we bought some for ourselves, we would buy some shares for her also. Then, I figured every time there was a stock buy (for us), we would let her know what stock and how many shares. We are not talking big numbers of shares -- maybe a total of $1000 in stock buys over the next 12 months for her shares.

Have any of you given small gifts of stock to the grand kids or kids? How did you do it? Any tips? Now, for any of you who are going to discuss the "tax consequences," or "inheritance strategies," etc., we just want some simple way for her to start watching her shares, and maybe start getting interested in the stock market. We are definitely not going to the trouble of opening her own investment account, etc. If all goes well, and there is some interest on her side, then maybe in a year, we will consider that. We just want a simple way now, to buy some small shares and have her be able to track them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Footsox
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.