Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Leadville is nice but I've never spend much time there as I was usually 4-wheeling through the area.

Buena Vista/Salida area is also nice and I believe that their winters are a little milder then some other parts of Colorado. In fact there are many nice places just depends on what you want. The winters can be a problem in some areas, since your retireing, health issues or proximity to adiqate health care can be an issue as accidents happen, some places still use wells/spetic systems instead of any city services, if you buy property, runing power to the lot can be expensive (20K per mile?) etc, etc.

Most of the towns you mention have a Chamer of Commerce that may be able to provide you with other local information and available services. They may be able to point out shortcomings but not everyone is as forthcoming about drawbacks. Maybe in your travels pick up the local newpapers as a was to get an idea of the area. I've found some that were definately pro-militia, high drug areas, politically left or right wing, not to friendly of "outsiders" etc. Local papers would also give you an idea of activites in the area both recreational and community based.

As long as it's not a small town, I think you may be happy with any of the places you and others have mentioned. Trinidad/Walsenberg, Buena Vista/Salida, Durango/Poncho Springs, Montrose, Leadville, Steamboat Springs, while smaller then the Denver metro area or Grand Junction are by no means a small towns and I think anything within a 30-60 minute drive of those areas will put you away from others so that you can have your privacy and be in the "wilderness" as well as balancing the need to be relatively close to the services provided by a "larger" town.

Wayne

Ps. Just so you know and don't find out after the fact, Trinidad while friendly/nice place to begin with, Trinidad is also known for it's numerous sex changes as it is home to a nationally renound Doctor in this field. Not that you do but some people have a phobia with this.
Also, excuse the spelling.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.