Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Leanne writes:

Currently I invest 10% pretax and get a 50% match. Now, the company is proposing that it matches 100% of the first 3% and then 50% of 4% for a total of 7% matched funds..supposedly I get the same return only spending 7% as I did at 10%. I am not convinced this is a good thing. I think I lose something in pre-tax dollars and matching funds or something..Any ideas? Or is this really a good change? I look forward to the replies!

Before, with 50% match of your 10% deduction, you got 5% of your salary for free plus the 10% deduction for a total of 15% in 401(k) investment.

Now, if you deduct 7%, you get 3% plus 2% to equal 5% of your salary for free plus the 7% deduction for a total of 12% in 401(k) investment. So yes, you've lost 3% although the match is the same. My guess would be that your employer is actually trying to be more generous -- giving away more matching money since it's likely that some employees were contributing less than 10% of their salary into their 401(k).

I think the main question is whether or not you can continue to deduct 10% even if you're not getting the match beyond the first 7% of your contribution. If so, then you'll still be getting the total of 15%.

Actually, I would encourage you to consider even going above 10% if that's possible. The tax-advantage is still tremendous, even without the match.

- BlueAdept
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.