Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
We've been retired for nearly 20 years now. No more bucket list, not much travel. We mainly hang out and do as we please, in the solitude of our home on this ridge, surrounded by several acres.

Who needs "direction"? Do what YOU like and to hell with whatever others insist you do! If you're not harming or upsetting anyone else, do as you wish!

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Who needs "direction"? Do what YOU like and to hell with whatever others insist you do! If you're not harming or upsetting anyone else, do as you wish!

Vermonter "

Be careful. By including "upsetting anyone else" you have opened a Pandora's Box of
limitations and impacts for anything you choose to do or choose not to do or contemplate
the possibilities of maybe doing something similar over the next ten year period.

Howie52
Who in their right mind would have ever expected a bank to require customers to wear a mask
to enter the premises?

And who would have ever expected whether you wear a mask or not to cause folks to be upset either way?
No. of Recommendations: 3
Howie52:

"Who in their right mind would have ever expected a bank to require customers to wear a mask
to enter the premises?

And who would have ever expected whether you wear a mask or not to cause folks to be upset either way?"

A bank can certainly require customers to wear a mask to avoid infecting others! Why not?

As for upsetting people "either way", you must be kidding! We need to do everything we can to knock down this damned virus! People are DYING from it!

Vermonter
you must be kidding

...he was kidding...
No. of Recommendations: 2
We need to do everything we can to knock down this damned virus! People are DYING from it!

Vermonter

---------------------

The problem is that "everything" includes a number of ill conceived, ineffective, and/or downright harmful mandates. Some may be well intentioend but still should not be forced onto a population.
Requiring people who recovered from covid to get vaccinated is going beyond the pale.
Requiring people who recovered from covid to get vaccinated is going beyond the pale. - jjbklb

-------------------

Did you see the video of the daycare worker trying to keep a mast on a toddler. I don;t recall which state this was but there was a mandate that everyone incuding children in daycare must be masled. The daycare provider could be fined or closed for non compliance, so picture this poor daycare worker.

The kid was setting on a table and the worker kept putting the mask on him, The id wojld immediately reach up and pull the mask off. The worker would put ot back on, thekid you pull it off, the worker would put it back pn, the kid would rach to pull it down, the worker would block the kids arms, as soon as she dropped her block, the kid would reach for the mask again. The kid was frustrated and was screaming his head off the entire duration of the video.

What would that parent think of this goverment mandated child abuse. Statistic show that children are practically immune from the infection in the first place and when they do get it, it is very mild and seldom requires hospitalization, let alone risk of death.

For the entire period of the pandemic, CDC statistics reveal that there have been only 359 Covid death in the entire age group of 0 to 18. Most of these involved comorbidities like a depressed immune system from cancer treatment. The overreach by government tyrants is breathtaking as well as the ease by which citizens gave up their freedoms.
"Requiring people who recovered from covid to get vaccinated is going beyond the pale. "

Actually,no......in most folks, the antibody levels quickly fade, and you are only protected against the ONE strain you had. You can easily catch Delta or Lambda or Mu or any other variants coming along.

The vaccines protect against multiple strains.

It makes good sense.

t
No. of Recommendations: 1
YOur numbers are low

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-Focus-...

0-4 174 deaths

5-18 387 deaths

as of 9/21/21

I'm sure those nearly 1100 parents would give anything to get their children back.

In addition, probably ten thousand kids will suffer 'long covid' - maybe permanent heart/brain damage.

The pediatric hospitals around here are overflowing with cases.

675,000 people in the US have died from COVID.

Most people know at least one or two folks who have died from COVID.

t.
>>"Requiring people who recovered from covid to get vaccinated is going beyond the pale. "<<

Actually,no......in most folks, the antibody levels quickly fade, and you are only protected against the ONE strain you had. You can easily catch Delta or Lambda or Mu or any other variants coming along.

The vaccines protect against multiple strains.

It makes good sense.

t

-------------------

There is a lot of information out there that says exactly the opposite.

I heard a respected virologist explain it this way. Hold your hand out, back of hand facing you, fingers extended. Now look at your fingernails and imagine them to be the spike proteins protruding from a corona virus. The MnRA vaccines have been engineered to detect and attack only those spike proteins. However natural immunity can recognize all the other surface areas of the virus that the MrNA vaccine would be blind too. Hence natural is a more effective form of immunity.
"As for upsetting people "either way", you must be kidding! We need to do everything we can to knock down this damned virus! People are DYING from it!

Vermonter"

******************************************************************************************

Well nobody has yet suggested that everyone should wear their own self container hazmat suit.
That would certainly protect people more than a flimsy mask.
Or possibly a clever inventor could come up with a continual shower a person could be fitted out
with to allow a continual air scrubbing with disinfectant.
Maybe all human contact could be through virtual screens.

Howie52
Be very careful when you drive to town again.
Cars are dangerous.
Seat belts - there is another item which caused folks upset back in the day.
No. of Recommendations: 4
We need to do everything we can to knock down this damned virus! People are DYING from it!

People die every year from pneumococcus. People die every year from e-coli. From salmonella. From multiple flu viruses. Death from these and a host of other transmissible infections can be knocked down by staying home, by home-schooling children indefinitely, by requiring employees to work and worshipers to worship on-line from home with few exceptions, by prohibiting gatherings of 2 or more person's indoors or outdoors. By masking every day of a person's life. By mandating every person to take all 26 vaccines recognized by the CDC. And non-complyers arrested and incarcerated.

Hundreds of thousands die each year from these infections.

Wouldn't you agree we should be doing everything possible to knock these deaths down??

BruceM
BruceM:"People die every year from pneumococcus. People die every year from e-coli. From salmonella. From multiple flu viruses. Death from these and a host of other transmissible infections can be knocked down by staying home, by home-schooling children indefinitely, by requiring employees to work and worshipers to worship on-line from home with few exceptions, by prohibiting gatherings of 2 or more person's indoors or outdoors. "

If you haven't heard, there's been a pneuococcus vaccine for at least 2 decades. Why die of it if you can help it? Simple shot - paid for by Medicare, too.

Yep, we work hard to keep e-coli out of the food chain. some get seriously sick. A few die but not many. Outbreaks quickly contained and sometimes a million pounds of product destroyed.

Salmonella - same thing - although you likely are going to get it from your own poor sanitation, food preservation, etc.

If everyone got their common FLU shot we'd knock that down. Last year, flu cases and flu deaths WERE way down because people socially isolated, washed their hands more, stayed home if they were 'sick' from work, etc

If you are elderly and in a nursing home or care home, it is insanity to have unvaccinated 'workers' there day after day in close contact. Same if you're on an airplane these days. Or a night club. Or cruise ship.

t

t.
" BruceM:"People die every year from pneumococcus. People die every year from e-coli. From salmonella. From multiple flu viruses. Death from these and a host of other transmissible infections can be knocked down by staying home, by home-schooling children indefinitely, by requiring employees to work and worshipers to worship on-line from home with few exceptions, by prohibiting gatherings of 2 or more person's indoors or outdoors. "

If you haven't heard, there's been a pneuococcus vaccine for at least 2 decades. Why die of it if you can help it? Simple shot - paid for by Medicare, too.

Yep, we work hard to keep e-coli out of the food chain. some get seriously sick. A few die but not many. Outbreaks quickly contained and sometimes a million pounds of product destroyed.

Salmonella - same thing - although you likely are going to get it from your own poor sanitation, food preservation, etc.

If everyone got their common FLU shot we'd knock that down. Last year, flu cases and flu deaths WERE way down because people socially isolated, washed their hands more, stayed home if they were 'sick' from work, etc

If you are elderly and in a nursing home or care home, it is insanity to have unvaccinated 'workers' there day after day in close contact. Same if you're on an airplane these days. Or a night club. Or cruise ship.

t "

************************************************************************************

Sorry to throw this into the thread, but if there were a real threat from un-vaccinated people
do you suppose the government would be allowing folks to come across out southern border without
vaccinating them?

The actions of the government simply do not tell us that the Covid problem is severe enough to
justify emergency actions.

Howie52
"Sorry to throw this into the thread, but if there were a real threat from un-vaccinated people
do you suppose the government would be allowing folks to come across out southern border without
vaccinating them?"

Ask Joe Biden. By his rules, it's 'catch and release'. 12,000 of the 15,000 let loose. Supposed to check in with immigration when their cases come up. Maybe 1 out of the 15,000 will show up.

Yes, thanks to Joe Biden, places like Houston have overflowing ICUs -

We ought to be zapping all the 'migrants' with the one shot J&J. most will never be around for a second shot. Some have tuberculosis......and other contagious diseases. Maybe even leprosy.

t
No. of Recommendations: 8
You know the President’s actions are not going to affect my thinking about whether to protect myself.
I’ve gotten all my shots for EVERYTHING including the COVID booster and yes, I wear my mask when I go out, and yes, I limit my social interactions and going out to eat.

Those who don’t, well, I can’t control them, but I can control what I do….that’s the important thing.

The other thing is actions have consequences to be sure. Words and actions matter.

I didn’t vote for the guy and his pals, and his actions will have long lasting consequences for all.

Lucky 🐕
Sorry to throw this into the thread, but if there were a real threat from un-vaccinated people
vaccinating them?

Apology accepted. Now please post this carp somewhere else and keep it out of here.
seems like the easiest way to not read the blarney physician is posting is to just put him on ignore..ahh, that was easy.
Did you know there are about seventy Chinese nationals on the Pfizer board! I didn’t either…doc
"Apology accepted. Now please post this carp somewhere else and keep it out of here. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry again, but that is not how social discussion boards work.

Howie52
But have a nice day anyway.
Sorry again, but that is not how social discussion boards work.

Uh, yeah, it is. This board is "Retired Fools." The political stuff goes elsewhere.
It's called.....

"If you throw enough sh** against the wall, eventually some of it will stick...maybe..."

BruceM
We mainly hang out and do as we please, in the solitude of our home on this ridge, surrounded by several acres.

Sounds just like me. I'm quite happy to just hang locally.

Birgit
The problem is that "everything" includes a number of ill conceived, ineffective, and/or downright harmful mandates. Some may be well intentioend but still should not be forced onto a population.

UhOh.....anti masking has spread to The Fool. Do we have anti-vaccers also?

Birgit
UhOh.....anti masking has spread to The Fool. Do we have anti-vaccers also?

Birgit

-----------------

Probably. However, the primary question is whether we retain the freedom to express opposing views, even views that "everyone" knows are just plain wrong.
"Sorry again, but that is not how social discussion boards work.

Uh, yeah, it is. This board is "Retired Fools." The political stuff goes elsewhere."

Couple of points - the government actions regarding medical checks at the border - any border -
is not particularly political.
Second point - retired folks can post whatever they wish as long as TMF rules are not violated.

So if someone chooses to say something which you find political is fair game.

Howie52
However, you do not have to read - or respond unless you choose to read and respond.
You bring upset to yourself based on your choices.

But still, have a good day and feel better.
Uh, yeah, it is. This board is "Retired Fools." The political stuff goes elsewhere.

--------------

As I have observed, it is usually just the political stuff that skews conservative that violates the sensibilities of self appointed board sheriffs.

--------------

As I have observed, it is usually just the political stuff that skews conservative that violates the sensibilities of self appointed board sheriffs.

There is a board (or two) dedicated to political discussions. A considerate poster would take his political observations to (say) a board like Political Asylum. People here are mostly trying to share a discussion about retirement. Some self-important, self-appointed fools (Note the lower case f) feel the need to come in and put their feet on the furniture and crap on the floor then get all sanctimonious if someone calls them on it.

CNC
... Post some political carp on Saul's board and see how long it lasts.
There is a board (or two) dedicated to political discussions. A considerate poster would take his political observations to (say) a board like Political Asylum. People here are mostly trying to share a discussion about retirement. Some self-important, self-appointed fools (Note the lower case f) feel the need to come in and put their feet on the furniture and crap on the floor then get all sanctimonious if someone calls them on it. - CNC

------------------------

And some people naturally get a thrill out of exercising control over others. These are the sort of people you find running HOA's for example.

Being retired includes setting around with your fellow retired fools shooting the breeze about what interests them, recipes, grand kids, travel, sports and yes even politics. For those too sensitive to hear something or someone, TMF has mercifully provided Ignore buttons.

I suggest a fragile reader should use them rather than assuming a role of sheriff. Another very workable option for the fragile user is to not dwell on a disagreeable post, simply hit next and get on with their life.
No. of Recommendations: 8
However, you do not have to read - or respond unless you choose to read and respond.

Bad pennys drive out good ones. Ignoring individual posters does nothing to maintain the quality of the board, and so it eventually disintegrates as people decide it's not worth their time to wade through the muck.

Why not post Biden/Trump/QAnon/BLM stuff in places where readers seek out that stuff? That place is not here.
Bad pennys drive out good ones. Ignoring individual posters does nothing to maintain the quality of the board, and so it eventually disintegrates as people decide it's not worth their time to wade through the muck. - MisterFingi

-------------------

Could it be you are projecting your own fragility on the general population? It is pretty easy to hit next, rather than get worked up about it.

You were provided some pretty useful advice

Could it be you are projecting your own fragility on the general population?

I'm a 16-time Ironman triathlete and open ocean long-distance paddler who regularly beats competitors half my age. "Fragile" is not a word my friends would use to describe me.
>>Could it be you are projecting your own fragility on the general population?<<

I'm a 16-time Ironman triathlete and open ocean long-distance paddler who regularly beats competitors half my age. "Fragile" is not a word my friends would use to describe me. - MisterFungi

------------------------

Impressive. Really. Way more than I ever could do even when I was younger.

There is a difference between physical and emotional strength. Your friends who would never describe you as fragile are probably not aware how you react to exposure to conservative thinking.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Your friends who would never describe you as fragile are probably not aware how you react to exposure to conservative thinking.

I'm also a retired political science professor who's probably read (and taught) more conservative thought than 99% of today's so-called "conservatives."
Only an AH would continue to muck up a board which is obviously not interested in his drivel.

I am sure you are not one of those.

CNC
Only an AH would continue to muck up a board which is obviously not interested in his drivel.

I am sure you are not one of those.

CNC

------------------

So retired people are limited to only talking about things that interest you?

Same suggestion, if you don't like what you are reading you have three choices, click ignore fool, click ignore thread, or simply click next. Way better than letting yourself get worked up about it.

Actually I am not so much pro political posting as I am against self appointed sheriffs trying to exercise control over what people besides themselves can see or read. I find sports particularly boring. I would be just as opposed to someone coming on here and proclaiming thou shalt not talk about sports on this board.

I have grown weary of abortion debates and skip right over those posts too. Same with Ivermectin wars. I make a decision for myself to skim by, hardly noticing the exact content. It would never occur to me to try to get the topic or the poster banned. I have never FA'ed a post except for a few on mine with typos or other flagrant errors.
We've been retired for nearly 20 years now. No more bucket list, not much travel.

It may be impossible by now, but to get back to the OP: I've been retired for 7 years, and there's still a lot of stuff on my list.

My volunteer work in Detroit is still mostly on hold due to Covid limitations in the soup kitchens. I look forward to doing that once again with my friends there. DW and I are eager to experience a fully re-opened and reasonably carefree Europe, although we'll probably accept a partially re-opened and somewhat carefree one. Three athletic events I want to compete in have been cancelled the past two years, and I look forward to them re-starting. I want to explore the interior of Oahu, which you can get to only on foot. And a trip to Tahiti, for which we've banked enough frequent flyer miles but can't yet use them due to restrictions there. Perhaps most of all, we relish watching our 8 year-old granddaughter grow up, and we hope she can get vaccinated and return to regular school once again.