No. of Recommendations: 5
...leave it to my disabled daughter through an irrevocable trust.

If your daughter receives any government benefits, such as SSDI, and you don't already have a Special Needs Trust, you should look into using that as a vehicle to not only pass assets to her, but also protect her benefits after you're gone.

There's an organization called the Special Needs Alliance which can help you find an attorney qualified to setup a Special Needs Trust. Not all attorneys have the requisite training.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.