Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've seen myriads of videos taken of people in crowded public areas. Streets/sidewalks, courtyards, subway stations, etc. Interesting cities such as New York, San Francisco, Paris, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Rome - you get the picture (lame pun not intended). Is this legal? Is it ethical? Is it bad etiquette (excluding the obvious)?

I live in a "destination city" where this sort of footage can be quite interesting. I'm tossing around ideas I have of shooting this sort of thing and posting it on YouTube. Lots of people enjoy viewing these videos and I need the exercise to boot (another lame pun not intended).

Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
If you are taking videos of things and or people in public (things the general public can see as well from where you are taking the video), you are good to go. If you stop and interview individuals, you would want to tell them who you are, what the video is for, and get their permission to post said video on the internet.

Troy
No. of Recommendations: 1
I suspect that the laws on this may not be uniform throughout the 50 states, like secretly taping telephone conversations for example.

I suggest you make inquiry to someone practicing law where you expect to be taking those pictures.

Ken
If you are taking videos of things and or people in public (things the general public can see as well from where you are taking the video), you are good to go. If you stop and interview individuals, you would want to tell them who you are, what the video is for, and get their permission to post said video on the internet.

Thanks for the reply. Makes good sense to me.

I suspect that the laws on this may not be uniform throughout the 50 states, like secretly taping telephone conversations for example.

I suggest you make inquiry to someone practicing law where you expect to be taking those pictures.

Good point. I'll give my law school bud a jingle.

Dealing with an occasional irate individual may be a problem in my area. I've been searching for covert 4K cameras (or gear that makes them covert) and am having a tough time finding anything. I'm thinking of trying to design me own. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
Any of these work for you? Note that I have not ordered from these people, nor do I have any experience with this equipment. It's just one of the first hits I got.

https://spyassociates.com/body-worn-cameras

Google for spy cameras (or similar) and you should find stuff like this.
Any of these work for you?

A lot of interesting looking gadgets on that site but unfortunately none fit the bill. I Googled a bit more with the two key words you mentioned and couldn't find what I'm looking for. I hadn't used the word "spy" in previous searches. The people who watch the sort of videos I have in mind gravitate heavily toward high quality footage. The best anti-shake available, 1080p - 4K, long takes, you get the picture. I may take a test run with a very small mirrorless with gimble, in town, to see what kind of reaction I get. I have done a couple of test runs in an extremely large, local regional park. I'd say 1 in 25 people did not look very happy about it. Who knows, maybe they weren't thrilled with my choice of hat and worn pair of Levis.

Thanks for the reply.
Interesting read.
https://www.quora.com/When-is-it-illegal-to-film-in-public-I...

Audio seems to be more of a problem legally than video (visual portion).

Things like concerts where you record for your own memory some crowd along with who is playing is expected. Some people won't care or notice.

If you really think about it though people want to go about their lives and not be recorded at a park or when doing outdoor activities. A lot of things are perfectly legal to do, but are they the right thing to do?
I think it is clear that you can film what you see in public - BUT, if what you film is used for profit (i.e. you make money off of your YouTube postings), then those featured in those videos may have a exclusively possess right of exploitation of their likeness that your are violating. This happens mostly with celebrities, but the rights attach to individuals as well. There are exceptions (newsworthy stuff where the likeness shown is incidental to the coverage) - and it does get complicated.

Do discuss with your legal bud....
A quick Google search got me to:

"Street Photography – Know Your Rights"

https://expertphotography.com/street-photography-laws/

I imagine a lot more can be found that way.

Good luck.

Ken