No. of Recommendations: 51
"They made me look better than I am and sound better than I do," Leno said in a somewhat strained voice. He was referring to his unionized audio and visual production staffs' abilities as part of his success.

I'm proud to say this is a union show, and I have never worked with a more professional group of people in my life. They get paid good money and they do a good job. And when the guys and women on this show would show me the new car they bought or the house up the street that one of the guys got, I felt I played a role in their success as they played in mine. That was just a great feeling.

That wasn't the first time Leno showed labor union solidarity. In 2000, he was to appear at the Society of Human Resource Management convention in Vegas. Then he learned that one of the most notorious union-busting law firms in the country--Jackson, Lewis--was getting big bucks to do two "How to Stay Union-Free" seminars at the conference. That did it for him: he would cancel his gig at the SHRM symposium unless Jackson/Lewis got booted. Rather than lose Leno, the hosts promptly removed both union-busting presentations, despite the fact that SHRM's chairman, Michael Lotito, was a partner at Jackson, Lewis.

Leno's own union, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, wasn't surprised at all, saying he had always been a "stand-up guy" on union issues.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-dreier/jay-leno-shows-hi...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.