Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 9
Hi all. I don't get as much time on the boards anymore, due to a certain law school that is consuming my very being.

This is a two-part post:
1) the financial update, otherwise termed hall of spending woes
2) request for moral support from people who made it through the first year of law school

1) Financial update: On the tails of DollarIQ's recent post, "My name is lessob and I am a debtor." I am living solely on student loans, and it's killing me. LBMM is a lifestyle I practice as well as I can, against the throng of fellow students urging me on to new outfits, nights on the town, a round of drinks for everyone, nice dinners out...I am surrounded by students just out of undergrad who haven't begun paying on their old student loans yet, and who haven't dealt with the sickening feeling of making as much money as you can and not being able to pay down your CC debt. I lived like that for three years, coming to a slow realization of what my debt meant and how long it would take to be debt-free.

Recently, I glommed on to some older students with similar life experiences, others who don't believe in using CCs at bars, or for groceries. They are helping the social situation, relieving me of some of the pressure from the younger students, one of whom is my fairly wealthy roommate (just out of undergrad, straight from Beverly Hills, pities me for not owning any Gucci purses, and wonders how I can stand to only have Starbucks once a week). I've been paying out of my student loan for my divorce bills ($500 and counting, but thank god, it's done, and could have been worse).

The only good news is I haven't amassed any more CC debt. I am considering a part time work-at-home scheme - but I am afraid I am relying too much on it. Supreme Mailing Services, out of Illinois (I don't even know if they're legit) and I can't believe it, but I sent $39 to them to get their work-at-home stuff. The BBB is awaiting a report from them, but there's nothing negative so far. It's the only kind of income I can imagine being able to get while I'm at school, at least until summer.

I still have around $9,000 CC debt, $8,000 undergrad student loans, and currently $7,500 law school student loan debt. That's it. And a small 401K at $6,800. No car payment.

Now for the second part of my post (a little OT, but not really, because if I don't keep my scholarship, my debt is going to grow significantly):

2) This part is mainly a request for advice from attorneys. Law school is grinding me down. I never used to take antacids, but I've gone through half a large bottle of Pepcid in the past two months. I have to get a B+ average to keep my scholarship (full ride). I've been on fall break for a week now, which was wonderful, but tomorrow I have to go back - it's not the work that bothers me, or the professors. It's the other students and their incessant "how are your outlines coming? what did you get on your legal writing assignment? what study aids are you using? have you got the supplement for Property? blah blah blah blah blah". How can I get away from that, or at least keep it from bothering me? The curve is looming and the competition is starting to scare me. I often just go to the library and close myself off from the others - but you can't do that all the time, and as much as I refuse to talk about law with the other students, it comes up (because, as you know, it is all-consuming) - plus eventually I'll have to form a study group. How did you get through it? How can I find a mentor (a normal, post-law-school person) without looking like a huge suck up?

Thanks. Hope everyone is well.

Deb
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.