Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
- I've been saying it for a while and have seen nothing tonight to change my opinion that the Saints will have the best home field advantage in the NFL. One of if not the scariest game for me on the Ravens schedule is Oct 29th @ New Orleans with the Saints coming off a bye week.

- The Saints have more talent than anyone gave them credit for. Their offense is playing up to par because Drew Brees has been exactly as advertised. The offense can move the ball efficiently. It's not the Colts, but it's good. And they have a lot more talent on defense than anyone believed. It's a young, hungry defense that doesn't have superstars, they just have guys that can go out and play solid football and know how to get the job done.

- Reggie Bush is the real deal. Not only does he have exciting moves, he's an incredibly smart football player. Look at what he did on the final drive of the half as a great example. A couple key plays he got out of bounds when they needed him to. One play stands out in my mind. With a little over 20 seconds and no time outs, Brees was about to get taken down in the backfield. Seeing that, Bush came off his block and told Brees he was open to dump it. Brees dumped it, and seeing he had no chance to turn upfield, Bush made a bee-line for the sideline to get out of bounds and stop the clock.

- Sean Payton has done a terrific job rallying these guys and running this team to a 3-0 record. Quite a story that they open with two road games and then home against a very tough Atl team and stand at 3-0. If the Ravens don't win the Superbowl this year, I really hope the Saints do...

- How long can we go on waiting for Vick to turn into a passer, and how long is the media going to continue to think it's acceptable and Atlanta can win anything if he doesn't? The guy's electric with his feet, there's no question about that. But he's a horrible passer. Not mediocre. He is horrible. And if he can't ever develop into anything that even resembles a passing game threat, they have no prayer of going any farther than they've already gone with him.

- C -
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
" I've been saying it for a while and have seen nothing tonight to change my opinion that the Saints will have the best home field advantage in the NFL. One of if not the scariest game for me on the Ravens schedule is Oct 29th @ New Orleans with the Saints coming off a bye week."

My belief was wait & see. It the old saying of when you back a wild animal into a corner, there's one way he can get out. Going right through you, or die trying. That sums up my view of this game.
The way the used Deuce & Bush was nothing short of brilliant.

"- The Saints have more talent than anyone gave them credit for. Their offense is playing up to par because Drew Brees has been exactly as advertised. The offense can move the ball efficiently. It's not the Colts, but it's good. And they have a lot more talent on defense than anyone believed. It's a young, hungry defense that doesn't have superstars, they just have guys that can go out and play solid football and know how to get the job done."

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Fujita & Faine come to mind. They played pretty well this eve.

"- How long can we go on waiting for Vick to turn into a passer, and how long is the media going to continue to think it's acceptable and Atlanta can win anything if he doesn't? The guy's electric with his feet, there's no question about that. But he's a horrible passer. Not mediocre. He is horrible. And if he can't ever develop into anything that even resembles a passing game threat, they have no prayer of going any farther than they've already gone with him."

I'll still sit tight on Vick. All I saw this guy do in '99 was light up a very good FSU defense. Vick was razer sharp that season. I still think the round peg-square hole theory still applies. The OL is build for zone blocking. Steve Young had a pretty big OL who kept guys off of him. This evening, the Saints looked like hungry workers heading for the free gumbo line. Vick needs to grow more, but the OL didn't exactly help him either.

Bush for O-ROTY? He's off to a good start.

I'll still sit tight on Vick. All I saw this guy do in '99 was light up a very good FSU defense.

That's the problem though...there's still people that think like you do (want to wait) but it's his SIXTH YEAR in the NFL! How long does he get before he gets written off as a passer? Boller's a fourth year guy and everyone - myself included who was one of his staunchest supporters for a while - has had him written off as a passer for a year at the least.

He may have lit up the FSU defense, but this isn't college football. This team is severely limitted by his inability to be a passing threat. IMO, you will never hear the words "Michael Vick, Superbowl winning QB."

- C -
No. of Recommendations: 2
Boller's a fourth year guy and everyone - myself included who was one of his staunchest supporters for a while - has had him written off as a passer for a year at the least.

What I've never quite grasped is why you believed in him in the first place. Was it just blind hope + loyalty to the purple?
- How long can we go on waiting for Vick to turn into a passer, and how long is the media going to continue to think it's acceptable and Atlanta can win anything if he doesn't? The guy's electric with his feet, there's no question about that. But he's a horrible passer. Not mediocre. He is horrible. And if he can't ever develop into anything that even resembles a passing game threat, they have no prayer of going any farther than they've already gone with him.

I was thinking a lot about that tonight. For all his talents, when you boil it down he doesn't seem to throw the ball to an open guy very much.

He has the rare ability to be able run out of trouble--which he does quite often--and make something out of nothing. But I really wonder if he and the team wouldn't be better off if he spent more time back in the pocket looking for the open guy, even if that meant occasionally taking a sack that he could run away from.

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'll still sit tight on Vick. All I saw this guy do in '99 was light up a very good FSU defense.

I don't remember the stats, but what I remember of the game I wouldn't say he lit up the FSU defense, at least with his arm. I do remember thinking how exciting he was as a runner/playmaker, but I also remember wanting to puke at how the the announcers gushed over him as a QB, when he was really a running back that night.--but that's just my memory.
IMO, you will never hear the words "Michael Vick, Superbowl winning QB."

- C -

Which is a shame, because it's quite possible that we could have heard the words "Michel Vick, Superbowl MVP Running Back".
"That's the problem though...there's still people that think like you do (want to wait) but it's his SIXTH YEAR in the NFL! How long does he get before he gets written off as a passer? Boller's a fourth year guy and everyone - myself included who was one of his staunchest supporters for a while - has had him written off as a passer for a year at the least."

I think it's the round peg, square hole up to now. This might be my last go around as a passer. It took Steve Young some time to get adjusted to the NFL game. I blame part of this on the staffs (past & present) and deciding what to make him. Boller, from what I've seen, can't make plays with his legs. Vick's ability to run has exended his career. I've seen this guy make some good throws and then......well. My concern is his passer rating, which is 75.5 (mid-70's). On the flip side, he's 6th among active winning percentage. This is also the QB who was the leader in the Packer's first home playoff loss. I still think Vick can do it, but time is running out. Decide how he fits the O, and go from there.

Boller, from what I've seen, can't make plays with his legs.

Or his arm.
On the flip side, he's 6th among active winning percentage.

I find that important. The team does win with him in there; whatever he does poorly, he does something right.

Anyone know the Falc's win% with him not in there?

Or his arm.

At least he makes bad decisions.
"Anyone know the Falc's win% with him not in there?"

To go a step further, I'd like to see the numbers with and without Schaub (as Vick's replacement).

Doing a quick summary by hand, I come up with the following figures:

Since the start of the 2002 season:
Atlanta with Vick: 30-19-1
Atlanta without Vick: 3-11

--WP
----------------------
Or his arm.
----------------------

And turns the ball over.
I forgot this year's games.

Atlanta with Vick: 32-20-1

--WP
----------------------
Or his arm.
----------------------

And turns the ball over.

He's lucky he can punt or he may not have a job.

--WP

Ok: wow.
To go a step further, I'd like to see the numbers with and without Schaub (as Vick's replacement).

0-2 in 2004
0-1 in 2005 (as starter)
1-1 in 2005 (as sub)

Ok: wow.

Most of that came in 2003, when they went 2-9 without him at the start of the year, and finished 3-2 with him. The other games were a win without him in 2002, and 1 lost game without him in both 2004 and 2005.

Plus, watching the Packers fans sit in shock as the Falcons beat them in Lambeau in the playoffs in 2002 is a mark in his favor.

--WP
On the flip side, he's 6th among active winning percentage.

I find that important. The team does win with him in there; whatever he does poorly, he does something right.

That unfortunatly is the whole problem with Vick.
You will win games.
You will sell a ton of merchandise.
You will sell out stadiums.

You will not win Superbowls.
You can't get rid of him. The fans would burn the building down.
The Falcons are stuck until he gets hurt or gets old...Pete
Atlanta with Vick: 32-20-1

This would be impressive to me if he'd done absolutely anything (other than beating the Pack in Lambeauxoh) in the playoffs. Kinda reminds me of that other guy that's actually a really terrific QB, but is the opposite of Vick in that he makes great plays with his arm and can't do crap with his legs.

Peyton Manning and Michael Vick. Two guys that are looked at in awe with what they do in the regular season, but will never win a Superbowl. And unlike with Marino, it'll actually be their fault because of it.

Vick's lack of ability to be a passing game threat will kill that team in the playoffs. Kill it. Until he can be an 80 rating passer, they have no chance to win a ring.

- C -