Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Let me know when you can reconfigure that port back to a USB type A port.

USB-C hubs can be had for <$15 on Amazon.com, which will give you USB type A ports, if you want them. If that's too much of an increment, I'd suggest not buying a new computer at all and instead re-think your finances. Soon enough if not already, demanding a built-in USB type A port will be like demanding a floppy drive in the days when Apple dropped them. (Yes, Apple still includes USB type A to Lightning cables in its iPhone boxes; I expect that to change, but meanwhile, you can sync via WiFi to your Thunderbolt 3/USB-C MBP.)

You might think I just blindly follow Apple, notwithstanding my earlier post citing my multi-platform experience or even older posts criticizing Apple. Port-wise, I wasn't thrilled with the loss of FireWire, nor even of ADB or SCSI back in the mists of time. But I got over being upset and made the transitions. Despite prior investments in external storage devices, the transitions have always been significant improvements.

I do wonder how well you keep up with Apple's technology, however. In an earlier post, you said "There are some interesting things going on in that space and the price point is far lower", and in another, you pointed out how, when you bought your current Dell, you claimed (or seemed to claim) Apple was using Sandy Bridge. You cited Dell's Sky Lake as meeting your needs. However, Sky Lake was launched in August 2015 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(microarchitecture)), and Apple hadn't used Sandy Bridge in its MBPs since 2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Macintosh_models_group... -- the Wikipedia entry hasn't been updated to the 2017 MBP's use of Kaby Lake). Perhaps you mixed up Sandy Lake with Broadwell? While Apple does tend to lag Intel's releases, it's not by that much, given that Apple doesn't have a rolling release schedule.

Still, apart from the lower costs, you cite "interesting things going on in that space" while requiring old hardware like USB type A ports and mistakenly thinking Apple uses only single button mice. It's your choice, of course, to prefer old USB type A ports over Apple's use of Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports, or to prefer 1990's-style three button mice over Apple's Force Touch trackpads with multi-touch gesture support and position-sensitive (left-right) "button" support. But I think that many of us think Apple charges reasonably for "interesting things going on" in their own space, e.g. sometimes the leap between processor generations is not so interesting as the introduction of other, newer technologies.

-awlabrador
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.