No. of Recommendations: 17
Let's end this thread.

I think the reactions from multiple people were from not fully reading the thread and having all the context.

I had a nice reminder to assume best intent and give people the benefit of the doubt recently.

I've traveled a lot in some pretty bad places and through experience have learned to be very distrusting of cab and even Uber drivers. Last week on my trip home, a cab driver ended up missing a turn and I immediately went into defense mode, thinking it was the same type of thing I have experienced before. A driver trying to rip me off or potentially taking me to a dangerous place.

I even said, "what are you doing trying to get more money from me?"

That comment seemed to hit the driver at their core and they responded "why are you so mean? Life is about far more than money". They then tried to pay me $10 out of their pocket which would have more than made up for the mistake.

I declined the money, paid, and went on my way.

I'm embarrassed by my reaction and how quick I was to jump to conclusions. I guess the lesson is to know when to pick battles and when to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Let's work on giving people the benefit of the doubt a little more and focus our efforts on finding awesome growth companies and keeping blatant detractors from spamming the board.

Thanks for your understanding everyone.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.