Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Let's resurrect this thread as I never did buy a new machine, and decided to wait for the end-of-year sales, which are now here.

Bernina has done an update to their 5 series, and I am liking the new 570QE. That now has a few more features than the 770QE, as they have not revamped that line, and this leaves me with a quandary. The new 570 has the 9mm stitches, and also has some new features that would be very nice such as automatic presser foot lift. And the embroidery module is new, so it supports a variety of embroidery formats. These are not (yet?) on the 770. The 570 has 8.5 inches to the right of the needle where I have 7 inches now. But this machine is also a lot closer in size to my current machine, and so would fit in my existing opening without modification.

So the big difference with the 770 seems to be that it has 10 inches to the right of the needle, which is 1.5 inches more than the 570, but this one would need me to modify my current table opening by adding at least another 3" and possibly up to 5" (I have a question in to Bernina asking about the minimum required opening).

The 770 also can use a larger embroidery hoop. Max embroidery size on the 570 is 400mm x 150mm, where max embroidery area size on the 770 is 400mm x 210mm. I am not sure, however, if that makes that much of a difference to me.

So it seems to be coming down to that extra 1.5" to the right of the needle. The woman at the store said she'd opt for the extra space as that is something that can't be changed, and it is always possible (not sure how probable) that the current 770 could be updated with a software change down the road.

But given what I have written above, I am leaning more towards the newer features of the 570. I will get 1.5" of extra throat space with that, although I do realize that the extra 3" would be very nice, but the thought of having to radically change the opening on my table, and how that impacts everything else is not very appealing.

And there is always one more option - as it seems Bernina now has a product positioning problem, I would expect that they would be adding these new features to their 7 series at some point. Do I just wait yet another year in the hopes that they do that, and that they run the standard sale with the embroidery module included next year? I could just limp along on my current machine, but I admit that I am lusting after that new machine.

Thoughts from the folks here? Any guidance in what I should consider in trying to make this decision?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.