No. of Recommendations: 28
Let's be honest about this point.

The so-called investing is nothing more than an accounting gimmick based on the government's nearly unlimited ability to print and borrow money.
SS bonds are not really invested and earning interest in a manner that is advantageous to SS recipients. The bonds that they are buying are not corporate bonds where the interest earned is potentially coming from an entity other than taxpayers. Those bonds they buy are being sold by the federal government where SS recipients are the ones, via income and other taxes, paying the interest - basically to themselves.
;

I understand how you can make this point and convince yourself that it's true.

But then I have to ask, are these not the same bonds that the US government is selling to individuals through brokerages and banks around the country. Do individuals in other countries also purchase these same bonds because of their safety, or their interest, or for whatever reason?

Don't foreign governments buy these bonds, and don't corporations park money in these sorts of things? Aren't there privately run bond funds which put their money into these same bonds?

So why do they magically become such a scam when the US government parks excess monies from one program into them, to be used at a later date by another - or the same - program?

I think you have convinced yourself of something with infallible logic, except that it's completely wrong.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.