Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Let's continue the discussion than, shall we?

Unfortunately, the link you provided did not deal with the calculations mentioned in my previous post. So I must continue with my own line of reasoning and simply disregard your link.

We know that there are right-handed and left-handed gloves right? This is also true of amino acid molecules, there are right-handed and left-handed ones. Of some 100 known amino acids, only 20 are used in proteins, and all are left-handed ones. When scientists make amino acids in laboratories, in imitation of what they feel possibly occurred in a prebiotic soup, they find an equal number of right-handed and left-handed molecules. "This kind of 50-50 distribution," reports The New York Times, is "not characteristic of life, which depends on left-handed amino acids alone." Why living organisms are made up of only left-handed amino acids is "a great mystery." Even amino acids found in meteorites "showed excesses of left-handed forms." Dr. Jeffrey L. Bada, who studies problems involving the origin of life, said that "some influence outside the earth might have played some role in determining the handedness of biological amino acids."

What chance is there that the correct amino acids would come together to form a protein molecule? It could be likened to having a big, thoroughly mixed pile containing equal numbers of red beans and white beans. There are also over 100 different varieties of beans. Now, if you plunged a scoop into this pile, what do you think you would get? To get the beans that represent the basic components of a protein, you would have to scoop up only red ones-no white ones at all. Also, your scoop must contain only 20 varieties of the red beans, and each one must be in a specific place in the scoop. In the world of protein, a single mistake in any one of these requirements would cause the protein that is produced to fail to function properly. Would any amount of stirring and scooping in our hypothetical bean pile have given the right combination? No. Then how would it have been possible in the hypothetical organic soup?

I didn't get the opportunity to look at your link intently enough yet. However, from what I got from it thus far. . .The evolutionary process, comparatively speaking, isn't like winning the million dollar lottery 3,000 times in a row, it's more like winning the million dollar lottery only 50 times in a row. I don't even know anyone who has won the million dollar lottery just three times in a row, do you?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.