Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 142
As scaryblondechick wrote in her post, blford "... is invariably patient and pleasant -- which can be a tremendous reassurance when all you really want to do is get the hammer and start whacking at your CPU."

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21328386&recscode=2

She said that. Well, that's her story. I suppose you could applaud it, but excuse me if I sit on my hands, because the first time blford helped me with a problem with my PC, this is what I wound up having to do to it:

www.averagjoe.com/nomo

At this point you might ask yourself, and with good reason, what does this have to do with nominating blford for the Feste Award and why would I want this award bestowed upon him?

Although my reasons are many, first and foremost is that blford is the living embodiment of the Fool credo of dedication to community and learning together.

Please allow me to elaborate.

Regardless of what our reasons are for joining this community, we all depend on our computers to facilitate our communication with the various boards. As we all know, there is no such thing as a problem-free computer, and a great majority of us are unable to cope with the myriad of variations in which these problems appear. I know I was unable to cope with mine. So when problem upon problem reared its ugly head, I did what many Fools do, and headed straight for the "Help With This Stupid Computer" board to scream for help from the guys who offer free advice to those not blessed with their keenness of technical insight.

Many of the experts go to extreme lengths to solve the problems of other Fools, but none more so than blford. He spent several hours with me on the phone, guiding me through a battery of tests aimed at eliminating various causes for my problem, until we arrived at the answer: a faulty motherboard that simply had to go -- and as you saw above, it went. Man, did it go! As evident from my case, not only does he help, he educates as well. In addition to offering solutions to problems, blford's answers to problems also provide links to tutorials and knowledge bases, so that we, the helpless masses may solve or even prevent these problems in the future.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21452610

One look at this (or any other) page on his website

http://www.williamaford.com/HowDoI.php

with its extensive array of information on how to do things compells me to view it as the answer to everything I always wanted to know but was afraid to ask.

I measure blford's contributions to this community not by the number of recommendations attached to his posts, but by the number of times a poster said "Thank you" for his time consuming research and detailed response to the poster's problem. He usually accepts these torrents of thanks with a blushing and little-boyish "Oh gosh, I just want to help" response.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21341816

Computers, however, are far from being the only thing with which we need help in our lives: when illness or personal tragedy strikes, our deepest desire may be just to hear a friendly voice -- and guess who is the first one to call:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21451693

Bill cares. While doing some research one late night last spring, my Yahoo IM signalled a page. It was Bill. He alerted me to a message on the Fools Against Depression board from a troubled poster who sounded desperately distraught. Concerned that she may be suicidal, Bill asked if I would join him in cheering her up. We posted responses to her plea, got her up on Yahoo IM, and stayed online with her till dawn, when she assured us she was feeling better. She is now married and an expectant mother. If not for Bill, though, who knows?

In summation, blford's exemplary actions, kindness and character reflect great credit not only upon himself, but this community as a whole, and I wish to add my name to the long line of those thankful for his contributions.

~aj
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2

Please use my 'Rec.' as a 'DITTO' to the above nomination by Avergjoe.

Well done Joe!

KEZ
No. of Recommendations: 4
"Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once."
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hey Josie,

...because the first time blford helped me with a problem with my PC, this is what I wound up having to do to it:

www.averagjoe.com/nomo

Ummm...Josie? Statements like that might scare people away from HWTSC and I don't think that's what we want. (LMAO!!!)

Hmmm...Josie's an old man and he can remember things I've done better than I...and some I just did last month. *blink*

Thank you for the kind words Josie! You've always been generous with your compliments about me and I thank you, again, and again.

Now, why didn't you tell me about this thread last night while we were chatting on the phone? <mumbling>Keep me up 'til 1:30am and don't even tell me you did this.</mumbling>

Man! This is kinda...I dunno...spooky (?) having all'a y'all talking about me like this. <bg>

Again, thank you Josie, and thank you everyone else!

ßillƒ

*Well, he is older than me so he has to be an old man 'cause I ain't, yet.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Thank you KEZ and PABear!! Y'all're too kind.

It's really neat having friends like y'all when something like this happens.

Thank you both.

ßillƒ
No. of Recommendations: 4
Oh Drats!! You found us. :o)

You thanking US Bill, oh! contrae sweet man, it is you that deserves all the thank yous we can muster up, and, this is our way of giving something back.

Good Luck Mr.B.Ford.
I know I have my fingers crossed for ya!. :o)

KEZ
p/s - Great to see you back.