Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
.....I mean, we have been here before.

Has the bottom been found, then re-tested?
Is Algore really gonna throw in the sponge soon or must he be dragged, kicking and screaming, from the national stage.
Is the market already pricing the fed's neutrality or even a rate reduction into these prices? What if the fed doesn't drop rates in January??
The chattering skulls and pumpers are saying that "this is NOT a bear trap" - this alone causes me worry.
This puppy has been burned too much recently and I've shared my tail of woe with all and sundry so I will share something once again.

Set your stops!!!.....SET YOUR STOPS!!!!

I'm unwilling to be burned again and I don't want any other rats singed either.

Careful & learning,
WildWolf2
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3

Let's see if I understand this. You rode your portfolio and the market down to yesterday. Now after a good UP day you're going to set stops? Please.

If you rode it to yesterday's close, today's gains are nice, but they don't get you into the black. It would take at least a week of returns like today to get close to where most of us were last March. Unless you think we won't get back to that level, why are you in the market at all? If the market tomorrow takes this back, it takes it back. You'd be satisfied with what you gained today? And then be in cash? Having to deploy cash is a great way to make new mistakes, but hey that's me.

I'm with Bruce. You hang tight with a basket of the best companies you can find. When the up days come, you smile, drink a little wine, etc., but you don't get cocky. Paybacks are hell and hard to predict, but if you stay LTBH and you did a decent job of stock picking, you'll get to smile a lot over the long haul.

Enjoy the day, you've earned it over the last few months. Tomorrow will bring whatever tomorrow will bring. I can't see where I'll do anything different from what I did yesterday or today. Except I don't play volleyball tomorrow.

glh
Who has never set a guaranteed loss..er...a stop in his life :^)
No. of Recommendations: 1
The 2nd biggest day ever was just a few months ago and we ended up retesting the lows and went lower after that big move. I'll be selling a few stocks that i wish i sold before the correction and be holding cash.

..the fed was on our back before..now the market thinks differently.
No. of Recommendations: 9
I stated:

...and horacekgl replied:

Let's see if I understand this. You rode your portfolio and the market down to yesterday. Now after a good UP day you're going to set stops? Please.

Sorry folks, I do not wish to be misunderstood about trying to share hard lessons learned.
You are correct, Horace, I have rode some of my investments into the dirt, I'm just trying not to repeat past mistakes.
After todays rally, I'm now holding three reasonably large winners: NTAP bought @ 60, SDLI bought @ 185 and QCOM (my largest holding, with entries between 60 and 108) cost basis around 78.
I don't plan on riding these back into losses.
So yes, if NTAP drops to around 75...goodby
If SDLI drops below 120 or so, I'm taking 1/2 off the table.
If my QCOM dips again to the mid-eighties, I plan on reducing my exposure to further downside risk but not necessarily selling my entire holding.

Now, if the market continues to rise, I plan on bringing my exit points up to a decent percentage of that unrealized gain with these 3 and later (hopefully) with others I own.
I may not know much, but for my own individual sanity, I gotta start learning when to take some chips off the table.
I want to "lock in" some gain for a change; that doesn't mean that I will abandon all of my cores.
......Now if only I did this with CREE.

Living and learning,
WildWolf2
No. of Recommendations: 0
If SDLI drops below 120 or so, I'm taking 1/2 off the table.

D'uh....I meant 220

Badtyping WildWolf2
Sure, it's fun now.

But you just wait until somebody gets their eye poked out.

;)