Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I received a letter from the IRS stating that they need more information to process my 2011 return. The letter isn't a CP2000. I see a coding of LTR 12C. Letter is signed by Operations Mgr, Input Correction.

The letter asks for any forms, schedules or other info required to support entries as follows:

Schedule C is incomplete or missing. Please send the completed schedule
with info that supports the entry $xxxx on line 12, Form 1040.

Schedule D is incomplete or missing. Please send the completed schedule with info that supports the entry $xxxx on line 13, Form 1040. (I did file Form 8949.)

Schedule A is incomplete or missing. Please send the completed schedule with info that supports the entry $xxxxx on line 40, Form 1040.

This seems very strange to me.

Do I just resend the Schedules and supporting forms that they asked for? Or should I call them? (My questions to them would be: 1) Are these Schedules really missing? 2) And if not, what information is missing?

If I resend the Schedules and supporting forms, it will be the same info as I originally provided. Is this the way to proceed? What do you suggest?

Thank you.

ML

ML
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
Letter is signed by Operations Mgr, Input Correction.

We pause for one of my trademark useless information staggers down IRS Memory Lane. Things have been greatly automated since I started in 1971, but in those days these were the "purple pencil" people, meaning that they made their notations on returns in purple. Returns were processed in blocks of 100. If something was out of whack the entire block was a Block out of Balance (BOOB). They answered the phone, "BOOB Correction, this is Agnes." I digress.

Do I just resend the Schedules and supporting forms that they asked for?

That's where I'd start. It sounds like either your paper return got disassembled somewhere along the line or the system burped while processing your e-file.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
I sent a letter and the requested information to the IRS on 7/5/2012. To date, I've received no reply from them on the matter.

Now what? Should I call them? Or let it go a while longer. It's been about 100 days now. I'd like to know whether the issue has been resolved, or not.

The original letter from IRS only says that they would issue any refund due in 6 to 8 weeks from the time that they receive a response. Or, if they receive no response from me that they may increase the taxes owed or reduce the refund.

At 100 days and not having heard from them at all, am I just to assume that they resolved the issues?

Or should I call them to confirm that the return is OK

ML
No. of Recommendations: 1
At 100 days and not having heard from them at all, am I just to assume that they resolved the issues?

I wouldn't. I can't tell from re-reading your OP whether this was an "even" return. If it is, then no news may be good news, but I'd give them a call and ask.

Phil
Thanks Phil

So far as I know, it's an "even" return. They just indicated that Schedules A, C, and D were missing. Strange.

I'll give them a call on Monday.

Thanks again.

ML
I got the same letter concerning Schedules A and D (no schedule C on this return).

This return was e-filed.

Any advice on this?

Lynn
No. of Recommendations: 1
I got the same letter concerning Schedules A and D (no schedule C on this return).

This return was e-filed.

Any advice on this?

Same as given to OP. Send them what they're asking for.

If you paid something with the return, has the payment been processed? If you were due a refund, have you gotten it? In the expected amount?

Phil
The payment was processed right way. This was for a return filed in April.

Thanks for your help, Phil.

Lynn