No. of Recommendations: 10
I don't mean this as a personal attack. But I do offer a scenario based on gavilan's post # 4484.

BTW I have to ask all the posters who criticized the Elan posters. Have you read the posts? Did you read all the posts by the individuals -- not just the ones concerning the CSFB analyst? Hmm?

Now my scenario based on post #4484.

Dear Poster:

Now I regret to tell you that I believe you have possibly libeled the Elan posters in question. Your accusation that their "sole purpose is to villify persons in the public press" and of running a "smear campaign" is false, misleading, and very possibly libelous.

You might want to contact a lawyer.

I wouldn't worry too much. It's not as though you're likely to be convicted of libel. In fact, it's not likely that the case will go to court. The posters might just want to scare you a bit and make you think before you post.

After all, it doesn't really matter if there's a solidly legal basis for their suit. It doesn't matter that far worse things are said every day on boards. What matters is that we need to tidy up these boards. Actually, what matters is that we need to make outselves feel superior and better. It's your bad luck that you might be singled out and taught some manners. I'm sorry. (But we all know something needs to be done.)

Unfortunately, you may lose many hours of sleep. And your work and family life will be interrupted. Who knows what kind of consequences might happen but that's not important. That's just how it goes if your posts don't fit the "niceness" standard and someone decides to take legal action.

I'm sure you will understand and appreciate the actions taken for the greater good.

gavilan, I apologize for singling you out and for my sarcasm. But the personal remarks about the posters seemed like the final straw that I could not igmore. I think you miught have rushed to a judgment about these posters. But I do not think my points are invalid.

Beware of good intentions and slippery slopes. They can lead to serious unforseen consequences.

That's JM2C
Miss Otis
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.