Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 18
I was born in Michigan, raised in Michigan, went to the University of Michigan and still live in Michigan (have never lived anywhere else). There's a lot to love about this state. You're never less than 6 miles from a body of water of some sort (usually a lake), so the fishing is great! My favorite place in the world is Mackinac Island, it's well worth the 5 hour drive and the additional boat ride. Most of my family is here, as is most of my wife's family. If you want to hunt, a short drive and you're in the woods. Detroit gets lots of knocks, but really it isn't a horrible place... Greektown is amazing! I'm just a hop, skip and a jump from Canada, a country with perhaps the kindest people on the planet (and the girls are cute too, not that I'm looking or anything...)

Yet I'm thinking about leaving, possibly for Arizona. I'm even poking around job opportunties in Arizona. Why? Because the economy here is horrible, and there are no signs of it getting better anytime soon... because we keep electing liberals and the Republicans can't help but kowtow to them.

Case in point, just this past week the State Senate voted to raise the minimum wage to $6.95 on Oct. 1, $7.10 on July 1 of next year and $7.40 on July 1 a year later. Horrible, horrible idea! You don't raise costs to employ people in a state that is in desperate need of jobs! To be fair the Senate didn't have much of a choice, there was a push for an ammendment to the State Constitution to peg the minimum wage to inflation, and it had 80% support (did I mention how many economically naive people live in Michigan?), so this was a "better choice." The lesser of two evils, really. But it is still a horrible idea economically. Then again, given the incredible amount of union members in this state, a large level of economic stupidity is to be expected.

The current governor, (a.k.a. Dominatrix) Granholm wouldn't know a good economic policy if it bit her in the mole. One of our Senators (Stabenow) was recently seen standing in chambers next to a sign that says "Dangerously Incompetent"... a fitting description of her if I've ever seen one. Levin isn't any better. Conyers, that lousy traitor, is from this state as well. Is it any surprise that this state is in an economic shambles when you consider who is representing us?

My wife is pregnant with my son... I can't sacrifice his future on the altar of Liberalism in hopes that sanity will come to Michigan. Therefore I'm seriously considering a move to a place where the economy is actually growing, where unions don't have their death-grip on the economy, where liberals aren't destroying jobs as part of their "greater utopia" plan.

I'm likely going to follow my friends and college classmates, who by and large are no longer living or working in the economic black hole that is Michigan. It would take a miracle to keep me in the state I was born in, the land that I love (there's just quite a few people here I could do without!) My best friend, a fellow Michigander, just got back from a fact-finding trip to Arizona, and he had nothing but good things to say. We might just be moving out there together.

Thanks Libs. I'm sure my son's grandparents will (potentially) enjoy having to travel across the country to visit their first grandson.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.