Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Warning - ramble ahead!

It really is. Case in point. I live in beautiful NYC. I love it here. But like most here, I am still somewhat scarred from the events of Sep. 11th. I had a FedEx package waiting for me at the Towers that I was too lazy to pick up, and I was planning a party for a friend at Windows on the World on Sep 13th (hence the unpickedup package). So I feel very lucky not to have been in the area that day, especially since two of my neighbors, and several friends, co-workers, acquaintances and faces at local bars (including 10 firemen next to where I work) were not so lucky.

Now, last week, I walk out to get some tea in the late afternoon, you know, take a break from things, enjoy the beautiful fall weather. Just gorgeous.
Next thing I know, across the street, this scaffolding falls down and kills 5 people, injuring several others. Holy fkucfking $^&* says I. Mayhem ensues.

Earlier today, I go out for another afternoon drink of tea. I'm about to cross the street (with the lite for once) when I hear some large vehicle screaming out of control. Next thing I know there's a huge CRASH of glass, people screaming, a wheelchair spinning on its side, and a large SUV now sitting backwards (!) in Circuit City on the corner!! Holy fkucfking $^&* says I. Mayhem ensues. Moron was probably on a cell phone.

I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel that afternoon tea is a bad idea. Until...

A friend (good, very good!) calls me just now as I am sipping my brew. He has two Knicks tickets tomorrow night against the Wizards. He can't use EITHER of them and gives them to me. Gratis for crying out loud.
Damn! If #23 drops another double-nickle on the Knicks, I might just achieve nirvana on the spot. Especially if the Yankees win as well.

I guess the question to the class is, am I lucky? Should I start playing lotto immediately? Should I fly to Vegas right now and put it all on the pass line? Should I not go out for afternoon tea ever again?

And more importantly, who the heck do I invite to see Jordan without pissing off the rest of the known universe? Cos I know at least a dozen people, male and female, who are going to be pissed for about a year if I don't invite them. Oh well. Let the contest begin, I guess.

cheers,

Naj

ps I wonder where this fits on the random distribution curve of life. Pretty far freaking out is my guess. I don't think I'd even sell myself insurance at this point.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.